Unable to obtain internet access through an unmanaged switch
JunC1

I connected an unmanage switch to the router but I still do not obtain an IP on any connected device on the switch. Wi-Fi works. Is there a configuration on the router that I need to configure?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to obtain internet access through an unmanaged switch
jonjones1
Legend

@JunC wrote:

I connected an unmanage switch to the router but I still do not obtain an IP on any connected device on the switch. Wi-Fi works. Is there a configuration on the router that I need to configure?

Who is the manufacturer of the switch? Go to their web portal and view their troubleshooting guide. Normally it’s best to place it on the #1 lan port then simply restart your router. Then check and see if it now functions.

Re: Unable to obtain internet access through an unmanaged switch
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it's an older switch, check to see if the switch has a port labeled "Uplink." This should connect up to the router.

Newer switches have auto-uplink selection. If the router is working just fine, everything should fall into place.

Also, double check that you're using good Ethernet cables. Some switches / routers don't support Auto MDI/X and can't figure out if you're using a Crossover cable.