Unsolvable OS X firewall issues
unionsquareimac
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since switching from TWC to Verizon High Speed Internet, I've been unable to download Netflix, play Yahoo Backgammon, send email via Network Solutions server, send or receive email from mobile me account, and connect to a JSTOR server for downloading articles on my iMac, OS X 10.6.6. I suspect that it's a firewall issue, but haven't been able to confirm that with Verizon customer service.

The first time I called about the email, after verifying that we had an internet connection, Verizon said that it must be Network Solutions. I called Network Solutions and found that everything was in order there. I phoned Apple, and found that everthing was in order on my machine and software. Navigating the Automated Call Distrbution and hold times at each of these places took about 3 hours, which included about 40 minutes of trouble shooting - most of it by Apple. I had to go to work.

On my next day off I called verizon and asked to have my call escalated to a higher tier mac support technician, but they said that they didn't have higher tier technicians. We went through a laborious troubleshooting process, and the tech couldn't find the problem within 50 minutes, and I had to leave for an appointment. I couldn't call back that week. Verizon phoned a day or two later and left a message on my answering machine that invited me to call a toll free number if my issue had not been resolved. I called before leaving for work a few days later, got through to a Verizon mac OS tech, and went through the same laborious trouble shooting process to no avail. I asked to be transferred to a higher level tech, and the tech just put me back in the hold queue. The new service tech wanted to go through the same protocals that I had already been through, which I found unacceptable. As this was my forth attempt to correct this problem, I asked him to read the notes from previous service techs. The only note he could find said "Unable to connect to the internet."

I believe I'm beyond my 30 day trial, but I desperately want out of my contract with Verizon. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Unsolvable OS X firewall issues
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Would you have by any chance enabled the modem's firewall? If it's set to High, it can cause the issues you're describing considering how restrictive the firewall gets at that level. If you tell us what modem/router you are using, we can go from there.

unionsquareimac
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for responding.

The wireless modem/router is a Westell 7500. The firewall is set to moderate. The username and password for the wireless network is not the same as the password for the Westell - I haven't been able to get into the modem/router without a service tech.

Eric_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Hi sorry to hear you are having an issue.  It does seem to be a firewall issue. One way to check this, is to figure out what port numbers your services are using, then go to  http://canyouseeme.org/ and see if the applicable port is open.  If it is not open you will have to open the port in the router.

Eric_VZ

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into the modem using the following Usernames/Passwords at http://192.168.1.1/

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Yout Verizon Username and Password

Set the Firewall to Disabled and see if your applications begin working. The Wireless key can be gotten from the Wireles Settings section.