Updating from 768kbps to 3mbps
mr_cochran

i have been with verizon for almost 4 years now and wanted to amp up the speed of my downloads and speed  (i lag on xbox live.) so my question is if i update to the 3mb plan will i be guarenteed to see better performance. the reason i asked this is i called like a year ago and a verizon rep said that alot of customer that updated wish they could get back on the plan i have because they seen lil difference in speed. i get 89kb max on a good day but avg. 78 kb for like all downloads 

westel versalink 327w

(connected to router)

wired vista desktop

xbox 360 wired

wirless xp laptop

wirless xp desktop

thanks please help me i really would like to expirence better download speeds and lagless xbox play

thanks again

0 Likes
Re: Updating from 768kbps to 3mbps
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

There isn't a simple answer. The maximum DSL performance is based upon the signal characteristics of the copper pair that runs from the Central office to your house. I upgraded from 768/128 to 3mb/768.  Well I did get close to 3mb/sec on the downlink, but nowhere near 768kb on the uplink (and would lose up to 500kbps on the downlink in bad weather). The copper pair from here to the Central Office sucks. You probably can get a good idea however by connecting to the router, and looking at the details of the DSL connection, in particular the uplink and downlink loss figures. If your downlink loss gets to 60db or higher, you won't get all of the upgrade. If the uplink loss exceeds 30db, you won't get all of that either.

The ultimate fix, if it is available in your area, is to go to FIOS. FIOS doesn't care about BIOS the copper pair, because it doesn't use it. I found I could upgrade from the 3mb/768kb service I wasn't getting to 20mb/5mb and Fios HD extreme TV for a little less than Directv+3mb/768kb DSL was costing me. Verizon waived the activation fee, and the early termination fee on the DSL service because it was an 'upgrade'...

I don't quite get 20mb/sec on the downlink (usually right around 19mb/sec), and actually do a little better than spec on the uplink at about 5.8mb/sec. It's close enough to what was promised that I am not going to complain.

What I now find is often the servers on the other end are the limiting factor..

mr_cochran

yo man iyo man i want to thank yo for all your help seems that your the only 1 whould tryied to help me i live less than 5 blocks away from a central office so i decided to upgrade to 1 mb first to see if i got good connect turns out i did so today i just got off the phone less than 10mins ago upgrading to 3mb so thanks again  and heres my dsl trans if you wanted to see

Down Stream Path      Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1184 448 Margin (dB) 28.0 23.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 15.5

13.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 6.6 11.8

waiting for monday to come they said i should have my 3mb ineffect then

thanks again

0 Likes
Liana
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow 768KBS? I would be so happy if i could get that where i live.

Do you know what i can get where i live?

I get anywhere between 2KBS and 10KBS dial up no matter where the access number is, Verizon tells me their is no highspeed in my area, and their is no cable, if i could get 768KBS i would be in heaven, and i would not ask for more.. your so lucky if thats what you get.

I wish verizon would bring highspeed of some kind to where i live, i would not say a word.. your very lucky.

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

Even in remote area, high speed internet service IS available, however the price is considerably higher than DSL or FIOS.

The two big providers in the USA for remote area internet access are

Hughes Net, and Starband.  Either can give roughlyt 1mbps/128kbps service almost anywhere for about $60 a month.

check out www.hughesnet.com  and www.starband.com for details.

The other supplier is more 'mobile' oriented, and the costs generally will get your attention each month, but that is Inmarsat BGAN service.

0 Likes
lanbldr
Keep testing your speed after your 3Mb is activated.  I started at 3Mb and within a few months Verizon had oversubscribed the CO and no one could get anything over 700K during peak times (3:00 pm to midnight).  I ended up downgrading because I could never get the 3Mb I was paying for.  {please keep your posts courteous} 
Message Edited by KaLin on 11-18-2008 08:59 PM
0 Likes
not2long
You have a raw deal.. I live where I can get as high as 10Mbps on cable high speed [ROADRUNNER]
0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

One other possibility for those who don't have access to DSL or FIOS, and cannot get good performance over dialup is ISDN service.

It isn't talked about very much, because its been around for a long time, and it isn't price competitive with DSL.

FIOS and DSL are not regulated services, so Verizon doesn't have to offer them to anyone. If you aren't in a DSL or FIOS service area, you are out of luck for FIOS or DSL, and there isn't anything you can do about it.

ISDN is a tariffed service. That means if it is ordered, Verizon has to provide it (although you may hear considerable unhappiness from Verizon). That will give you 128kbs each way over a pair of B-Channels (each of which can also be a voice grade telephone line). The full 64kbps channel is available for customer data, as the command and control signals for ISDN travel down a separate 16kbps I channel.(A standard basic ISDN line is 2 64kbps B channels, and 16kbps I-channel.)

That's the good news. The bad news is that ISDN tends to be much more expensive than DSL or FIOS, and unlike DSL or FIOS, service is 'metered'. You go over your traffic allowance, and it costs money. You also need new telephones, as ISDN gives you digital service end to end, and unlike garden variety analog phones, ISDN telephones tend to be pricey because the 'digital divide' is at the telephone itself.

Sat service such as Starband or HughesNet is probably less expensive than ISDN.

mr_cochran

just letting you guyz no I been checking my internet and my service has been great no more drop calls from vonage or anything

http://www.speedtest.net/result/371560605.png

The Max Speed I get is around 366kbs download and about 85-92kbs upload

Message Edited by mr_cochran on 12-12-2008 03:56 AM
0 Likes