Upgrading from Westell DSL modem to ActionTec
richbl

Hello all,

I have a situation where I'd like to migrate from an older Westell modem (A90 series) over to a newer ActionTec modem.

The problem I have is this: I don't remember the IP address of the ActionTec modem. I'm under the impression that I need the MAC of the older modem in order to have Verizon DSL vadilate my login (where I live, Verizon DSL uses DHCP instead of PPPoE).

What do I need to do in order to migrate from the older DSL modem to the newer modem?

Should I contact Verizon support to have them change my MAC authentication using the new ActionTec modem?

Or... am I missing something here?

Thanks much.

rich

0 Likes
Re: Upgrading from Westell DSL modem to ActionTec
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

The default IP Address, user name and password for the router will be in the user's guide/ user's manual.

If you need help finding that user's guide/manual: What is the model of that newer ActionTech?

0 Likes
richbl

@richbl wrote:

Hello all,

I have a situation where I'd like to migrate from an older Westell modem (A90 series) over to a newer ActionTec modem.

The problem I have is this: I don't remember the IP address of the ActionTec modem. I'm under the impression that I need the MAC of the older modem in order to have Verizon DSL vadilate my login (where I live, Verizon DSL uses DHCP instead of PPPoE).

What do I need to do in order to migrate from the older DSL modem to the newer modem?

Should I contact Verizon support to have them change my MAC authentication using the new ActionTec modem?

Or... am I missing something here?

Thanks much.

rich

CORRECTION on the above:

I don't remember the IP address of the original Westell modem, not the new ActionTec modem (I have no problem accessing and configuring the new modem).

0 Likes
richbl

@dslr595148 wrote:

The default IP Address, user name and password for the router will be in the user's guide/ user's manual.

If you need help finding that user's guide/manual: What is the model of that newer ActionTech?

I actually meant to say that I don't know the IP address of the old Westell DSL modem. And therein lies the problem as I don't know the MAC address used for authentication in that modem to clone in the new ActionTec modem.

I could always reset the old Westell modem, but then run the risk of losing that MAC address, and losing authentication, which would then require me to call into customer support to reset the account, etc.

Thanks for your input.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Check your IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers on your computer.

This means for example, if on Windows XP...

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 Go to a site that displays the public IP.

Such as http://whatismyip.com/

#3 Check to see if any of the IP Addresses on your computer is the same as the one on a site that displays the public IP.

#4 Only if  an IP Address are the same as, then the MAC Address that you need to use is the MAC of your computer.

Clue/Hint: The MAC Address on a Windows computer, is dislayed at  ipconfig /all and is called the physical address.

#5 If you are sure that none of the IP Addresses on your computer is the same as the one on a site that displays the public IP, then with your web browser go to the default gateway and log-in to the Westell as need be.

#6 If you have no idea of what the user name and password to your Westell modem is, then go find the manual for it...

#7 Also if you are sure that none of the IP Addresses on your computer is the same as the one on a site that displays the public IP, what is the exact model of that Westell modem?

^^

0 Likes