Upgrading to Enhanced DSL, but what is the real cost?
TTsang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

I'm currently overpaying $90 a month for

• Verizon Double Play $69.49

• High Speed Internet Up to .5 - 1 Mbps

• Verizon Freedom Essentials

I'm looking to reduce cost and the only option avalible on my account is to upgrade my DSL to Enhanced for $64.99 which is only $5 cheaper than what I'm paying for normal DSl and phone bundle.  However, Enhanced pricing is only for one year. How much will I be actually paying a month when the 12 month deal expires?

And why does the enhanced DSL iist a 250GB usage? Is there a monthy cap for this service?

And when did Verizon start charging rent for Modem/ Router when I'm using I'm using my own third party modem?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading to Enhanced DSL, but what is the real cost?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Enhanced ADSL runs for $45/m standalone retail. The "soft" cap is 1TB (1,000GB) in a month assuming you can hit that on DSL. A 3Mbps connection would have to be maxed out a majority of the month to hit that.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@TTsangwrote:

Hi

I'm currently overpaying $90 a month for

• Verizon Double Play $69.49

• High Speed Internet Up to .5 - 1 Mbps

• Verizon Freedom Essentials

I'm looking to reduce cost and the only option avalible on my account is to upgrade my DSL to Enhanced for $64.99 which is only $5 cheaper than what I'm paying for normal DSl and phone bundle.  However, Enhanced pricing is only for one year. How much will I be actually paying a month when the 12 month deal expires?

And why does the enhanced DSL iist a 250GB usage? Is there a monthy cap for this service?

And when did Verizon start charging rent for Modem/ Router when I'm using I'm using my own third party modem?

I just loved your opening line.

The speeds listed are atrocious. There must be other internet providers in your location. My lord Dial up would be faster. Usage caps I am not sure Verizon is allowed to do that. Check with your states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission who regulates Verizon .

verizon also cannot charge rental fees on what is not their property. Only on their own equipment.

TTsang
Enthusiast - Level 2

The thing would the rental fee is that I've been using a 3rd party modem/router for 2 years, so how could they continue to charge me for that?

The cheap Verizon modem they sent to me when I first signed up 8 years ago was promoted as free as part of a deal. Can they legally backtrack on their deal and charge me for something I no longer use?

Unfortunately, choosing another nternet provider isn't much of a option since my century old apartment building  is still isn't hooked up for cable let alone fiber optics. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Sometimes when Verizon runs specials they will say “free” with service.

unfortunately that free can change to rent some time down the line. Unless you kept that first bill showing the device as free then Verizon will ding you.

i scan all invoices into a pdf format and then both save them to recordable media as well as in the cloud service. I take no chances. This has helped me over the year with such situations.

TTsang
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jonjoneswrote:

Sometimes when Verizon runs specials they will say “free” with service.

unfortunately that free can change to rent some time down the line. Unless you kept that first bill showing the device as free then Verizon will ding you.

i scan all invoices into a pdf format and then both save them to recordable media as well as in the cloud service. I take no chances. This has helped me over the year with such situations.

In hindsight, I should have, but who would have thought that a agreement taken as  in good faith would be nulled and void to come back 8 years later to screw you?

Anyway, does anyone know  the regular monthly non-promo cost for Verizon's  enhanced DSL? I'm looking at restructing and reducing my monthly bill.

0 Likes
Bryce1997bryan

Regarding your upgrade. You currently pay 90$. I have almost the same built package and have high speed internet enhanced. I only pay 59$ a month for all that sometimes 60$ and some change when im late a day or 2 but it sounds like your bill got messed up somewhere as i also have a router from them but i had to pay a upfront fee for mine. When you built your bundle did you call or order online. Why im asking is because when i ordered online my whole order got messed up and i had to call for them to fix it 

0 Likes
TTsang
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Bryce1997bryanwrote:

Regarding your upgrade. You currently pay 90$. I have almost the same built package and have high speed internet enhanced. I only pay 59$ a month for all that sometimes 60$ and some change when im late a day or 2 but it sounds like your bill got messed up somewhere as i also have a router from them but i had to pay a upfront fee for mine. When you built your bundle did you call or order online. Why im asking is because when i ordered online my whole order got messed up and i had to call for them to fix it 

I bought them as a separate package. I think at the time, I was paying $40 for DSL with a free modem plus $30 for my landline package for $69.95.  Including taxes and fees added up to $80.  In the last year or so I was hit without warning a extra $10 for modem fee... for a model which I might add they no longer support. That pushed my monthly bill to $90. I don't think the slowest possible DSL service is worth $90. At that price, I should be getting  FIOS speed instead.

I looked at the available deals on my account and all they have is the Enhanced package that is $5 cheaper than what I'm paying for normal DSL. I would be paying $64.99 for 12 months. What they don't tell you how much you'll really end up paying after the 12 months elapses.

Are you still paying the same price for Enhanced after a year of service? And is there a monthly cap on usage? It lists a 250 GB usage on my account.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Enhanced ADSL runs for $45/m standalone retail. The "soft" cap is 1TB (1,000GB) in a month assuming you can hit that on DSL. A 3Mbps connection would have to be maxed out a majority of the month to hit that.

TTsang
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith6612wrote:

Okay, thanks a lot!

The majority of my time on the internet is spent streaming video on youtube in SD and downloading steam games.  I doubt I ever even hit  50GB a month  on DSL so the 250GB cap even with a modest increase in speed is still below my threshold.

0 Likes
Solarsails
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would you be so kind as to describe what your telephone service is set up as.  I pay 90+ a month for phone and DSL.  Do you actually have a phone line?  Wireless phone?  Just curious as I would like to either get rid of the phone or cut it back to nothing.

@Bryce1997bryan wrote:

0 Likes