Use Westell 6100 with WRT54GL (ddwrt firmware)
spt5007
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been trying to get my Verizon-branded Westell 6100 modem working with my router for quite some time and for a while I was stumped. I had followed the "Change your modem to bridge mode" below directions exactly, and done so multiple times. However it never worked. The modem worked fine connected directly to my computer with the factory default (ie modem doing the routing) settings. I was stumped, tried different routers, computers etc. No luck. This was especially frustrating since I had Verizon DSL in this area a few years ago and had it working with a different router then.

After some googling I found a guide that was intended for users of the non Verizon-branded Westell 6100 modems. Out of curiosity I compared this guide to the above guide. The only difference is that in this other guide users are instructed to set the bridge mode to "bridge" and NOT "routed bridge." I tried changing this setting and boom everything now works.

Below is a link to the "old" guide with the different setting:

http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_contentDisplay&objId=17171

I hope this helps anyone else having similar problems.

Re: Use Westell 6100 with WRT54GL (ddwrt firmware)
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

This information has been around for a while but a reposting for new readers is helpful.  You would think that the irroneous info would have been corrected since it has caused so much confusion to so many.