Using Residential DSL and Windows Home Server
ThomasP2

We have very satisfactorily used Verizon DSL for several years. Recently acquired an HP EX495 MediaSmart Home Server. It is primarily for backup of all pcs, and storage of shared music, pictures, and data files. It can be used remotely while we are travelling and by other family members in other locations but we have not set that up. I want to know if that will be acceptable to Verizon. It is not ever intended for commercial usage, just personal convenience. It acts essentially like a Networks Attached Storage device, which can also be used remotely. Just easier and more flexible an more comprehensive. The operating system is Microsoft Windows Home Server, intended solely for home personal use. I cannot see why Verizon would object, but I want to be clear about this. All thoughts welcome. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Using Residential DSL and Windows Home Server
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't speak for Verizon and can't say what people might or might not object to, but section 4.3 of your Terms of Service would seem to probably spell out their excpectations:

Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. You may not resell the Service, use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

Interpret that however you like, but it seems pretty clear to me.

ThomasP2

When this TOS was created, a home server device was not in existence. Since then, NAS devices have come on the sceen and function much as a server. the Microsoft Windows Home Server system is as stated, a home server, not a commercial device. it is simply more flexible and capable than a NAS. The HP EX495 implmentation is a good example. We have no intention of creating a commercial web site, just a good methodology for sharing data amongst a family and providing access while traveling to files which are better left at home. A NAS device falls within the guidelines, why not a Windows Home Server?

I would think that Verizon would consider these things in addressing this issue. I have no desire or intention to go against the TOS. I have had very good service and assistance from Verizon from the beginning and would not jeopardize that in any way.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't disagree with you, but the TOS does appear to be regularly updated and I know that they are clearly stating that residential service is for "access" to the internet, not for "hosting".     Servers of all varieties have existed for a long time (NAS and Home Server are hardly new in their offerings).

I use a remote access product (LogMeIn.com) which is free and is "outbound" based to get into my home systems to avoid the "server" restriction (at the very least it avoids the appearance of operating a server since it restricts access to only myself or my family members who live in the house and have access to the LogMeIn account).   Anything I wish to share, I put on a hosting service which is in a data center somewhere out in the cloud (although I could use the web / file space Verizon gives you as part of the FiOS service).

As I said, you interpret the TOS however you wish.  I only quoted the section which specifically addresses your question.