VOIP problems after "upgrade"
unhappier1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just "upgraded" to high speed internet and have had problems from the very start.

I had been on a slow speed connection for 7 years with no problems at all. 7 months ago my company transferred me to work from a home office and provided a VOIP phone which worked great, UNTIL my upgrade.

Now, my inbound calls will last 60 seconds and my outbound calls will last 30 seconds. The line will still show it is connected, but neither parties can hear each other.

I have been in contact with tech support via live chat, have called them, they have called me but it has always been the wrong department, they sent a tech because my internet speed dropped to 0.67 Mbps but magically corrected to 7.02 Mbps before he arrived.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this problem?

Re: VOIP problems after "upgrade"
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What modem and router are you currently using?

unhappier1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actiontec Model GT704-WGB

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Double check to make sure that the Firewall in the ActionTec is disabled. That may be causing some issues if it is enabled. Second, you can try toggling UPnP On and Off to see if it corrects any issues (doubt it will). Lastly, Port Forwarding may help if you know what ports your VoIP device uses.

You can log into the ActionTec at http://192.168.1.1/ and by using one of the following Usernames and Passwords:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Your Verizon Username and Password

The Firewall settings should be easy to spot, as there will be a link at the top of the page for that. The Port Forwarding section is contained within the Firewall Settings section of the management page. UPnP can be found under the Advanced Section of the management pages.

unhappier1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info. I had already tried that and still am having the same problem.

I am not happy at all with this situation because when I've contacted tech support, they only pass me to a level 1 CSR even after I explain in detail my conversations with actiontec and also share the test that my IT department ran. They wanted to double check that there were no connection problems, which there weren't.

If you have any other ideas, I'm open.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might have already tried this as well, but if you visit the Advanced section of the modem and try upgrading the firmware, is there any new firmware that can be installed onto the ActionTec available? I haven't found a link on Verizon's website yet for ActionTec firmware, as I believe this is all done through other means now.

unhappier1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have tried more than I ever wanted to and no one at Verizon seems to know anything. I spoke to Actiontec too. Something changed in the service with Verizon since the upgrade because I am having more and more problems everyday. This is the absolute worst. I will be looking for new service for sure.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I saw somewhere in another thread here that you mentioned having another modem and router handy. Do you still have VoIP issues when you use the older equipment? If you don't have the 10-15Mbps speeds from Verizon, there isn't a need to use a newer ADSL2+ modem even though it is suggested. Your old Westell 2200 or 6100, or 327w, whichever you had before should work just fine.

As for the Wireless Drop-outs, I need an answer to the above first. Is Ethernet also seeing drops?

Any other problem you're having, just tell us.