VPN problems with ActionTec wireless router
rickberr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm trying to set up VPN from my Win7 laptop to my Win7 desktop to use while travelling.  

I have an ActionTec GT704WGB and cannot VPN from my laptop on the Internet in to my desktop on this router.  Using the Microsoft VPN test tools pptpsrv and pptpclnt I can successfully send VPN test messages (Port 1723 and GRE Protocol 47) between the two machines on my subnet, bypassing the ActionTec, so I know that Windows and Norton Internet Security are not the problem.  But when I put  the laptop on the Internet through another provider I cannot get any messages through the ActionTec.  The ActionTec is configured (Security / VPN) to support VPN with Port 1723 forwarding and GRE * * * ).  I am suspecting perhaps the ActionTec does not support inbound VPN but cannot find anything in the user manual or ActionTec support that clarifies one way or the other.   I'm sure I used to be able to outbound VPN to my former employer's network.  

It seems there is something about this router, or perhaps there is something in the Verizon network that does not support inbound VPN.  Does anyone know?  

Re: VPN problems with ActionTec wireless router
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

The actiontech does support incoming and outgoing VPN connections. What changes possibly needed with your VPN setup or different port forwarding needed would need to be advised by the VPN tech support group.