Veriozn Sppeds terribly slow - just had to reset my modem twice.
PeteX82
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just had to reset my modem for the second time in a few weeks.  My interenet speeds are consistenly slow; 1.1mps on my best day. 

I spoke to the tech and he said I'm currently set up for 1.5mps and that I could upgrade to the 3.0mps; I spoke to the sales, and she said I'm on the plan to allow for up to 3.0mps but I'm not able to get it.  She couldn't clearly articulate why, but said that the speed numbers are a 'window' and sometimes may not be attainable. 

She said 3 factors can contribute:

1 - Age of my comptuer (this is a brand new windows 8 desktop)

2 - The wiring in my houws (this was a completely rennovated house and when the verizon tech came to install my phone jacks, said that he couldn't access inside wiring so he had to actually drill in from the outside to install jakcs, so this is esentially coming from the pole).

3 - My proximity to the central location (no idea what that has to do with anything).

I am consistantly using my cell phones to do everything, becaus they are lightspeed ahead of what i get out of my home connection.  I contacted verizon previously, but was unable to keep up witht he support thread.  I'm in DESPERATE need of assistance.  FiOS isn't available in my area, but there has to be better than this.  I don't want to switch to Comcast because I can't stand their customer service.  Please tell me there is something I can do.

0 Likes
Re: Veriozn Sppeds terribly slow - just had to reset my modem twice.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Number 3 is important with any technology, especially DSL. If you're a good distance away, typically past 2.4 miles of wiring from the central office your speeds won't be close to modern without methods such as bonding.   Another factor tying into how fast a DSL connection can go is the wire quality between your home and Verizon's central office or remote terminal.

If you can give us some Transceiver statistics to look at, we can check to see how good of a line you have. Comcast will unfortunately give better speeds than Verizon will be able to accomplish for most, if FiOS isn't available. If you don't know how to get the stats from the modem, tell us what model modem you have.

MysteryB
Enthusiast - Level 3

Twice in a couple weeks? you're lucky,  sometimes I have to reboot twice every 30 minutes for hours at a time.  The record is 15 times in one day.

0 Likes
PeteX82
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an actiontec modem, don't have the model number handy as I'm at work but I could get it when I get home.   

I know Comcast has better speeds, but I hate their customer service with such passion that I've vowed never to go back; but I'd like to at least be able to not use my cell phone anytime I need to look something up on the internet or watch a youtube video.  What's worse is my wife and I have now transitioned to working from home and have never needed the connection more so than we do now.

I see advertisments for dish (who I currently have my TV service through) using their internet service and getting "4G" speeds.  I'm considering that now - I don't have issues with dish's service even in inclimate weather; so that's my other option.  Or just canceling Verizon completely and upping our data usage on our cell phone and use those primarily.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Definitely see what we can do first with wireline services before resorting to a wireless solution. 4G Internet tends to have aveats, including iffy availability and data limits. If what is being offered happens to be satellitr, don't get it unless it is your only choice. Satellite can transfer data reasonably fast, but it will be congested, the latency will make it as slow as a dial-up modem, and you have data limits to boot.

To start, for a Verizon ActionTec modem, visit http://192.168.1.1/ , from there click on Status and then select DSL Status (or, locate this page in the modem). I need your transiever statistics, which includes the modem speed, mode, SNR/margin, power level, and attenuation.

If you need login information, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/verizon

admin/verizon1

0 Likes
PeteX82
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks - will check this tonight when I get off work.

0 Likes
cindy1212
Enthusiast - Level 3

If  you can't get resolution    with in  a reasonable amount  of time   Don't do  like I  have and  struggle for years. I suggest that  you   go  to  the FCC  web  site and fill  out a complaint.    Verizon  will     move a  lot faster   with better service   if they  have a reason   to do so.   Though they still  will  have excuses   like  they do  not own  the  "copper  wiring" that is corroded  and not  performing.    Odd   apparently no  one owns  it  today.  

0 Likes
MysteryB
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried filing with the BBB and it didnt' do a thing.  First time they never responded to the case, second time they said it was fixed and closed the case. 

0 Likes
PeteX82
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed repsones;  I can't seem to find 'DSL Status'  The only options I see are listed below:

Connection Status

WAN Status

Routing Table

Firewall Status

ARP Table

NAT Table

Wireless Status

Gateway Utilization

LAN Status

None of which seem to list out the information you've asked for - is it by chance listed somewhere else?  Or is it perhaps named something else (other than modem speed, mode, SNR/marin, etc)?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PeteX82 wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed repsones;  I can't seem to find 'DSL Status'  The only options I see are listed below:

Connection Status

WAN Status

Routing Table

Firewall Status

ARP Table

NAT Table

Wireless Status

Gateway Utilization

LAN Status

None of which seem to list out the information you've asked for - is it by chance listed somewhere else?  Or is it perhaps named something else (other than modem speed, mode, SNR/marin, etc)?

Are you running one of the newer D-Link modems there? Seems like you are. Those modems to the best of my knowledge do not have an easy to find page, if one exists to get the Transceiver Statistics. We have to get the stats from Verizon, who is able to pull the data from their equipment.

If anything, the "Connection Status" or the "WAN Status" pages will show this information.

0 Likes