Enthusiast - Level 3

Welcome to 2008!!!!  :smileymad:

0 Likes
Re: Verizon DSL Web Hosting CGI Scripts Do Not Work
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

As you (kilowatt) well know.

#1 I got the counter to work on my main home page.

#2 I copied the code from your site to a another webpage at my site, and played with it.

#3 Once I figured it out, I told you to took at a certain full URL and copy the code back.

#4 Once I knew that your counter was working on your site, I deleted that web page from my site.

#5 I was sure to keep my home page HTML code, has stayed the same.

#6 Now the CGI Script (couter) does not work on my home page too...

Verizon needs to get a clue.

#1 Be very careful about doing any sort of update(s) to the web hosting service.

#2 And take more seriously the issue, of the web page (especially CGI scripts) do not work.

That is unless they want users to host their own websites on their own computer... Which is strongly not recommend for newbies.

Here is a site with guides for different routers. http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Here is an idea. Complain a lot more,and sooner or latter - they will listen to us.

For example, go complain at DSLR (dslreports.com) Forums » Tech and Talk » Talk » Rants, Raves, & Praise

If it helps: Over there, you do not need to be a registered user to post.

Message Edited by dslr595148 on 11-22-2008 04:23 PM
0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately, there is no help for our problem.

Verizon Tech support does not provide any support for CGI scripts.

I even bought a domain name and moved my web site to a domain-name server only to discover that Verizon Tech Support still won't provide support for CGI scripts.

We are screwed!!!!

0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Today I got the counter script and the Formmail script to work on my new

abcccassociation.org web site.

I finally got through to tech support.

If you want your counter and other scripts to work, I recommend purchasing a

domain name from Verizon.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Thanksgiving Turkey

0 Likes
PeteIrishFiddle

I tried many times to get thru to tech support.  How did you do it?

Pete

0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is ABSOLUTELY NO TELEPHONE TECH SUPPORT for web sites uploaded to the MYSITE.VERIZON.NET Server.

I was told this several times by Verizon Tech Support.

The tech support telephone number for the Verizon Domain Name & Web Hosting Tech Support is:  866-641-7135.

Good Luck!!

0 Likes
PeteIrishFiddle
I followed the advice of Kilowatt and called 866-641-7135.  There followed 45 minutes of frustration, speaking with 4 people.  My biggest problem was to convince the people (who still are unconvinced) that my problem is not with MY computer, nor MY connection, but rather, with Verizon's nonsupport of its FTP space and the CGI scripts.  Several didn't seem to know what I was talking about and kept asking for which Internet explorer I am using, etc.  I said that the problem is well-known, as verified by a Google search on the error message that their CGI script produces.
    I continue to be puzzled by the Verizon tutorial, which clearly states that it is possible to do this if your script is on the server
http://mysite.verizon.net.  For those interested, here is a link to that tutorial. Once there, click on "hit counter."

http://www2.verizon.net/myaccount/manage/sitebuilder/cgi_scripts/Default.asp?
The most remarkable thing about these delightful conversations is that when I suggested to each "expert" that I give him my URL and that he bring up my web site, each said "I cannot do that, because I cannot access web sites from my terminal."
    Well, I guess I'll just have to give up.  There is, of course, a tech support number I can call and pay by the minute for someone to be unable to help me with my problem......
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Verizon really needs to wake up, and fix the issue.

I do not know what error you are getting, but I am getting back.

Could not create data file: "\\firebird\Home8\username\counter"

Note: Where *user name* is my user name. In your case *user name* on your webpage, is your user name.
0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Quite frankly, Verizon Tech Support will not provide any support for web sites hosted on mysite.verizon.net.

Verizon has done this on purpose.  They want all of us to buy a domain name and then FTP our files to our new domain-name server.

Then Verizon Tech Support will help us solve our CGI or FTP problems.

0 Likes
kilowatt
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's been more than two months since I purchased a domain name from Verizon and uploaded my web site to my domain-name server.

I haven't had any problems with the Verizon CGI Scripts available to Verizon domain-name users.

If you want to see the CGI Scripts in action, please go to the following Web Site:

http://abcccassociation.org/index.html

Happy New Year!!

0 Likes