Verizon DSL and phone don't mix
MrBilzor
I've got both basic Verizon phone service as well as DSL.  Whenever I pick up my phone, the internet shuts off.  The phone line itself has a lot of static background noise whenever in use.

The setup:  Wall phonejack => splitter => line 1 => DSL modem/router => computer;   line 2 => filter => powered phone/answering machine

Phonejack, splitter, then filter on the line that runs to the phone.  No other phones in the house.  No other filters in empty phonejacks.

If I don't split the line, DSL works fine, phone works fine.  But, of course, if I want to use the phone I have to unplug the cord from the wall.  Not an option.

If I split the line but don't plug in the DSL or phone (leave an empty jack in the 1 to 2 splitter), the other works great.

I've tried two differant splitters, and gone through all the filters that Verizon sent along with the install package.

I've even plugged the splitter into the back of the modem and connected the two lines to the wall and the phone, that still didn't work. 

If I plug the phone into another line in the house, everything works.  But now I am using my phone in an empty bedroom, and the install proceedure for a DSL line clearly shows the proper way to use a splitter.

Has anyone used a splitter for DSL?  What is the brand name?  Any other ideas I'm missing? 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon DSL and phone don't mix
Justine
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure if this will, help.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Troubleshooting/Top+Help+Issues/QuestionsOne/8800...

I've used the support web site before and it helped resolve my issue. 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon DSL and phone don't mix
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If you can hear the DSL modem white noise when you pick up the phone it is not being filtered. You either do not have a 2 line DSL filter, it is installed backwards or you are using the wrong phone splitter. Check you configuration again.