Verizon DSL and wirelss-N (802.11.n) router?
tom10003

Hi,

I have Verizon DSL 3Mb/s line. I have been using Linksys Wireless-B (802.11.b) router for several years mainly for my PC. Now I will be getting a notebook that comes with 802.11.b/g/n support. I am wondering if I should get a new wireless-n (802.11.n) router to take advantange of 802.11.n support? The signal range is not the issue here, I live in one-bedroom apartment and the router will be used only for the PC. So will I benefit from a new wireless-n router or just waste the money?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon DSL and wirelss-N (802.11.n) router?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Well that depends on different factors.

I know of course, you use your router to access the Internet (a World Wide Network of Networks) but, I want to know what else do you do behind your router?

For example, because..

If all you are doing is surfing the net with Verizon DSL the top download speed is 7.1 MB / upload 368 KB, a 802.11n router would be a waste of your money/time.
0 Likes
tom10003

Thanks for the reply.

I use wireless router for my PC only for internet access and nothing else. Since my DSL bandwidth is 3Mb/s and my current wireless-B router can handle up to 11Mb/s so I don't even need a wireless-G router. So even my new notebook supports 802.11n, my current wirelss-B router is fine. I just want to make sure that. Thanks!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
You are welcome 🙂

See as need be: linksysbycisco.com -> Support -> Learning Center -> Wireless Standards

Direct URL: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/static/us/Learning-Center/Network-Basics/Wireless-Standards/index.html

See the chart that they have that outlines the differences and features for each wireless standard, along with the activities that are best suited for each one.

I know that they do not talk about Wireless B, but the info that you find there you may find interesting...
0 Likes
tom10003

Thanks for the link.

I am losing DSL connectivity a couple of times a day (vs. once for several weeks before), I need to call Verizon tech support. If my Wireless B router goes bad, I am interested in D-Link Dir-655 N router which comes with a USB port to let you connect a printer or hard drive, that does sound nice.

0 Likes