Re: Verizon DSL drops internet intermittently
pat110

I've been experiencing the same problem since April 8th. I've talked to probably about 50 different people at Verizon had a technician at my house for 3 hours and let 4 different people at Verizon remote access my computer. Not a one of them has a clue. After the first 11 days of this, they then call me and tell me I'm part of a group outage and the problem is being worked on. 5 days after that they call me and tell me it's fixed and I should have no more issues. I got on and  same exact problems existed. My 2 laptops and the desktop all doing this. The connection status in system tray says I'm 100% connected on laptops and same on desktop in network connections.

If I right click on the connection and hit repair it will then let me connect. Sometimes I have just run the network diagnostic tool and it will repair it also. Doesn't last for long though. I'm through with these Verizon **bleep**! After 28 days you would think they would be able to get to the bottom of what is going on, but they cant. At this time tomorrow I will have Road Runner Turbo with 15 megs of speed and technicians who know what they're doing that will be at your house the next business day to repair such issues.

They are trying to tell me it has something to do with my computer settings which is complete **bleep**, because why would you mess with internet settings once you are connected as I have been for 8 years? To prove their expert theory wrong, I took both laptops to a friends and even lugged my tower from the desktop as well and guess what? Not one problem on any. Verizons DSL is slower than erosion anyway, even when it does work. Trust me if you want to stick with them because FIOS is coming, dont bother. Road Runner has been fiber optic since it's inception.

0 Likes
DistantSun1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Smith. These are the tranceiver stats right now:

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h

Vendor ID Code 4D54

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt

Data Path INTERLEAVED  

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3104 832

Margin (dB) 6.6 9.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 41.0 26.0

Transmit Power (dBm) 17.8 11.9

I called and they told me it was my cord but I don't think so, because it can be great sometimes and terrible for hours another. I happened to mention that rebooting sometimes help and that my router runs very, very hot. So they're sending me a new one. We'll see what that does.

I am in an apartment and have no access to an NID, unfortunately.

pat110

I've heard all that before> They actually sent me 3 new routers in 3 weeks. Still doing the same thing. The sooner these {please keep your posts courteous}realize that the problem lies within their network and not everyones modems, cables, settings, cordless phones etc.... the better off they'll be.

0 Likes
pat110

Download speed of 29.81 megs and an upload speed of 0.91 at 6:30 PM EST! Almost a month of Verizon trying to tell me it was my settings, router, cables, wires, and still couldn't solve anything.. Road Runner Turbo installed yesterday and not 1 issue with any device I have attached and the speeds are unreal! 

0 Likes
pat110

Your customer service is horrendous, the technicians... 3 of them that remote accessed my computer and the one that spent 3 hrs. at my house knew absolutely nothing. They all had me ready to call a computer expert and spend money fixing things that there was no problem with! Keep on keepin on Verizon.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Transceiver Statistics are indicating that something is up with the physical DSL loop, as the speed isn't correct. Proper rates for the Download and Upload should be 3360/864 respectively. While your line seems to be near the edge of 3Mbps service, you should be able to squeeze some more out of the line. First thing's first, if you have access to a NID, please plug your modem into the test jack found inside of it to see if the statistics improve at the NID. This will rule out your home's wiring as any sources of noise which will affect the DSL.

DistantSun1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Smith. As I've said, i am in an apartment and have no access to the NID.

Since I last wrote, I received the new modem - no change. I can keep a connection for 20-30 minutes before it dies. I'll reboot and get another 10-20 minutes, a third will get 5-10, and then you can forget it.

The frustrating thing is, when I call Verizon, which I've now done 8-10 times, they will do a test from their end and 50% of the time, they will find a problem and the other 50% they say there are no issues. They sent someone out Saturday to do some testing outside my building and they didn't find anything wrong. This week, they are coming to test the entire line, end to end.

I can't help thinking that it really is the router, as rebooting does get things going, and leaving it off for a while and then turning it on keeps it going for the longest periods. I am tempted to buy a new, non-Westell router and try it out.

alan_nyc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

well.. most of them are clueless. on my case. i lost dialtone and they fixed it. but after dialtone is fixed. the dsl went dog slow. do you think it is my problem or their CO or whatever problem ? since they fix something on their side. how can it be a problem on my side ?

0 Likes
MomInMD03

My DSL has been up and down for over a week. Verizon has been working on it since last Saturday. I seem to have to turn my modem off and on to get it to work or run that In Home Agent which basically has me turn the modem on and off. Until this evening when I wasn't able to connect to the internet it was on all PCs. Tonight just seems to be my desktop after running troubleshooting on IE I get error: "the dns server isn't responding. "  Have been getting this error alot. I have a total of 3 laptops (one is work), desktop, and 3 devices that use the wireless. Not sure if the other laptops or wireless devices are working at this time. I had the DNS error before but don't remember how to fix it. Does anyone know the fix for that?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MomInMD03 wrote:

My DSL has been up and down for over a week. Verizon has been working on it since last Saturday. I seem to have to turn my modem off and on to get it to work or run that In Home Agent which basically has me turn the modem on and off. Until this evening when I wasn't able to connect to the internet it was on all PCs. Tonight just seems to be my desktop after running troubleshooting on IE I get error: "the dns server isn't responding. "  Have been getting this error alot. I have a total of 3 laptops (one is work), desktop, and 3 devices that use the wireless. Not sure if the other laptops or wireless devices are working at this time. I had the DNS error before but don't remember how to fix it. Does anyone know the fix for that?

I would suggest that you use a DNS tester to see how fast and reliable the DNS Servers are.

For example, the tool from http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

0 Likes