Verizon & Loop Length
SusanNB

I ordered the 3mbps plan and are scheduled to be activated on the 7th. I thought this is wierd becase they said my loop length is 0ft. and I don't see any box, this would be my 4th time trying to get the service and last time All my lines including my neighbors were to far ect. This road is a Dead end road Iam the second to last house and we both qualify for 3mbps yet the 3 houses infront of us don't then the raodf that comes up at the end of mine all the people there qualify all the way up the hill and beyond.
Now, Iam just wondering if anyone knows anything or has been in a similar situation as me.

Also, if it doesn't work this time I wondering if I could pay for an amplifier/repeater or even a small 4 port remote terminal or the smallest available. If we miss it again we are only missing it by 1000 to 2000ft. This is our only option hughes is pathetic my mom can't work at home because of the cap.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon & Loop Length
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

The distance is determined by how far your house id from the Central office supplying dialtone to your area.  You have to be within 3.5 miles, roughly 18000 ft.  I"ve been sent out to hook up customer who "Qualified" only to have to tell them the signal would never reach their home 5 miles away.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Another option you can consider is cellular broadband.  One of our employees just got it recently.  He lived too far from the Central office to get Dsl and it was an inexpensive alternative compared to Hughes.

SusanNB

Well I've heard of this thing called Adrena Line http://www.charlesindustries.com/main/adrenaline.html It's said your telco /phone co. can install one of these and extend or amp. the singal an extra 2000 to 4000 ft. or make somone with 1.0 max get a 1.5.

Just curious what area did you try to install the service and they ended up being 5miles away. I live in New Braintree and soposedly my service is soposed to be activated tomorrow and a tech told my dad he was to far like 5miles. We want to look into getting some terminal or even repeater installed on our line because we have no choice for HSI. Cable is not option hughes is a joke I can't work at home and get a chunk of work done with their daily cap of 150mbs. The Wireless option you talk of i've tried and it's expensive as satelite for the work iam doing. They charge you per megabyte if you go over the 3gig cap every month.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

The unit looks like it would work for extending the range, however I've never seen or heard of Verizon using them.  I just read a post where Frontier (a phone company in Rochester Ny) was using one, but it appeared he used it as a last resort. POST>>>

The Town was Wilson Ny, near Lake Ontario.  I look forward to getting these customers service and feel kinda bad when it doesn't fly.

If you can't get the Dsl installed because of distance, perhaps you can ask the tech to have the engineer contact you so you can offer up a suggestion of this product...It can't hurt to try.

0 Likes
SusanNB

Well today the technition drove by and I flagged him down and it turns out he was looking for me. He said I was 26000 ft. Not any way possible for me to get it. I want to ask all of whoever has any experience with verizon. I have been driving around town and basically  mapping as far as dsl reaches knowing that it goes 18000ft. roughly radius from the RT or DSLAM. I found out that those {please keep your posts courteous}  people installed the remote terminal in th worst possible place haha. I mean it literally serves like 30 % of our population. Alls iam saying is if they built another one up the hill 2miles or so and more towards the barre side of town, we would all get it. The best our town offers is dial up. Cable won't come because were 500 people short of the miniumum 2000 population. Now If it's in any means possible to buy a smaller remote terminal that maybe doesn't have to be fibre fed(But of course fibre fed if possible) my neighbors and I would gladly pay for it, if verizon wants they can send me a form and i could get atleat 8-10 contracts signed, this just counting my road. If they sent a survey to all this side of town we would all want it. I just don't understand why there so thick headed about it. They arn't fooling me about oh it's not financhally feasble because lets look at the math, say if there were like only 300 to 500 people on a remote terminal, since our town is proabably not going to see FiOs for a decade or more most definitely. By that time the equipment will be payed for. If verizon waits any longer there really just loosing money so to speak. I mean haha, I just don't understand why don't those people send surveys to towns and get information. They just want to take competetion in the citites away from cable providers and try and drive them out of business when some towns don't even have business haha.

~All in all, I basically want an application or maybe even a survey sent to me to get it signed to get a remote terminal buil. Hell if theres a smaller remote DSLAM that serves like 5-10 ports we all chip in and buy it and have it installed on our road.

~If not verizon look into surveying this region for FiOs now North Brook Field is where our Local Central Office is for all the brookfields and half of New Braintree where I live. I would also like some information on when FiOs may be coming to those areas soon.

Message Edited by KaLin on 01-05-2009 09:43 PM
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

You live in a beautiful part of the country there in Mass.  I wish you the best of luck Susan.  Let us know how you make out. 

By the way, the Dslam is only one piece of equipment used to interface dsl into the phone lines in remote areas.  Here's a quick summary:  We take your voice from the central office.  We connect your analog voice into circuit cards in the office which convert your voice to data.  We then multiplex our voice with other voices and send it over the carrier (copper carrier or fiber) to the remote terminal (slic hut, a pairgain system or a litespan).  At the remote terminal we convert your voice to analog (back to normal)  From there we wire your voice line into the dslam.  When your voice comes out of the dslam it now has the dsl carrier riding along over your voice line.

The other variable one has to consider is bandwidth...depending on the carrier feeding the remote equipment...copper vs. fiber =  some can not handle the load of voice and high speed data to those remote locations.

Walt

0 Likes
SusanNB
Well my dad just got off the phone from veerizon and they now rescheduled him to the 19th because of how far we are so to speak. Like 26000ft. in wire length. But they can make us about 15000 ft. if they can run 4 poles down a back road and switch are line to make us able to get it, hopefully this will work out (knowing my past experiences with verizon I kinda doubt it ) But what they should to do to be most profitable is build another remote terminal at the top of Thomson Rd. near Route 67 and serve the rest of the town but who knows maybe they can put and amplifier somewhere also like i was saying before I just hope my line gets on the shorter loop with my Dads. By the way the only way we could get them to do this was be menchioning our situation like in my last post otherwise they say what they are trained to say in these conditons which is understandable. But really I think Verizon needs to remember there are alot of areas in this country where they can profitably give dsl because FiOS is a long way from getting to areas more rural there cities. If only verizon didn't turn into a privately owned company and get all regulated and whatnot they wouldnb't have a choice on where there going to serve customers they would be serving every house just like they have to with telephone service. They call it a Luxury cause it's cutting edge technology, well if it's so cutting edge why are the cities that all have it already upgrading to FiOs. All in all if Verizon served every cutomer with DSL that doesn't have any cable or Fios Options they would be happy. Now I can see someone replying that "It wouldn't be Profitable enough to get them to do it, but heres the thing how can you tell someone they'll never get any broadband ever because there to far, well make them close enough and you will slowly profit if not raise there bill, Verizon work a plan thats affordable just get everyone on the loop before we all fall to far behinde in Technology. I'd be willing to bet that theres people willing to pay 100$ or more a month for a 1.5MBPS Dsl or higher.
0 Likes
SusanNB

Turns out we won't be getting no DSL. They don't want to run 4 extra poles for us and change our Line so we could get it. They said wait for Fios. Well I don't think we are getting Fios for a decade judging by how Verizon been laying it out they are just going to run it in cities and leave us with dial-up. Well, If any verizon employees are reading I am just letting you know that if you want I could get you contracts signed if you would get us service out here. Like I said before even if you did eventually run Fios, you could run it anytime because we don't have any cable provider  in New Braintree Ma. 01531 and our selectmen are waiting for you to offer it to us so the faster you act the faster your "Profit will come".

Message Edited by SusanNB on 01-12-2009 02:23 PM
0 Likes