Verizon is on DNS Blacklist
Scottye

Ok, I am a Verizon customer and I am livid with the way Verizon Customer support treats me (us customers).

I own my server (Windows Server 2003). I have over 100 clients and starting last month no one on my server could receive emails from anyone sending an email using a Verizon account.  For example. My mother, brother, neighbors and others would send their email using a Verizon email account and send to my personal email account on my server. They’d receive a notice back undeliverable and the reason listed: IP Blacklisted. Then if a person that has Verizon internet and uses their email on my server would send from their Outlook, it would show sent, but where it went no one knew. I’d send an email, watch the mail exchange on my server and it would never show going through.

So, after seeing the return notice about the blacklisted IP address. I did some checking and first I thought my server IP was on the DNS Black list.

Well it’s not my IP blacklisted.

Turned out the DNS Blacklists I have on my server have a ton of Verizon IP blacklisted. So, when someone would send an email using Verizon Internet, the email would be checked against the DNS blacklist on my server, read as spam and kick it back to the person undeliverable with the blacklist notice. Then, I found out if a person that has Verizon internet (like myself)would send an email using their email account on my server, the email would show sent (in their Outlooks) but never go through my server. Again, the DNS blacklist would block the Verizon IP address associated with email and not let it through.

Here is the message they all got back. (My email address and server IP was removed for protection).

Recipient address: Scott@XXXXXX.com

Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address

Diagnostic code: The IP Address of the sender (206.46.173.7) was

found in a DNS blacklist database and was therefore refused.

Remote system: dns;xxxxxxx.com (TCP|206.46.173.7|9314|XX.XXX.XXX.XX|25)

(mail.xxxx.com ESMTP, Version: 1.986-- ready at 12/10/09 19:05:52)

Now run the IP 206.46.173.7 from the message above (which is a Verizon IP address see below) against a DNS blacklist lookup. This is just one of the Verizon IP addresses I ran.

PTR

vms173007pub.verizon.net

24 hrs

Here is what you get:

Blacklist

Status

Reason

Backscatter.org

LISTED

Sorry 206.46.173.7 is blacklisted at Detail
Return codes were: 127.0.0.2

LASHBACK

LISTED

Sender has sent to LashBack Unsubscribe Probe accounts
Return codes were: 127.0.0.2

SORBS-SPAM

LISTED

Spam Received See: Detail
Return codes were: 127.0.0.6

Here are some of the DNS Blacklist checks I use on my server that consider Verizon unsafe and if on a server’s mail exchange will not allow email through or send:

sbl.spamhaus.org

zen.spamhaus.org

spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net - Sorbs is one of the best to use too!

smtp.dnsbl.sorbs.net

spam.abuse.ch

Now the reason I am here on this forum and the reason I wrote all that. I had to turn off the spam checkers and all my clients, including myself and getting creamed with junk mail/spam. It was never, and I mean ever this bad. I used to get maybe one a week.

I have a fair amount of clients that have Verizon as their Internet provider. And, as long as I have the spam checkers enabled they (and I) are screwed. Turn them off (like now) and we are all screwed with unwanted email.

Does anyone know any DNS Black Lists I can add to my server that won’t interfere with Verizon and all their IP Blacklisted?

Oh, before I forget. Why I am livid with Customer Support. These people are complete @#^$%’s. For example: I announced I am a customer and that I am the ADMINISTRATOR. I had these supposed “Techs” tell me 4 times….”Sir, you need to contact your server Administrator!” I spent hours and hours over almost a week trying to get help. NOTHING! Oh, then try to explain that the company you work for has a crap load of IP addresses blocked and they have no idea what you are talking about. I even emailed them the blacklist/abuse department a copy similar to what I wrote above. Never heard a word back.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon is on DNS Blacklist
VZ_Constance
Contributor - Level 1

Hello Scottye...sorry for the tough time, unfortunately this isn't a Verizon issue being as though the blacklisting isn't in house. We aren't blacklisting your IPs...This companies blacklisted  your ips. We suggest you contact Sorbs, Backscatter and Lashback directly. You may find this website helpful for SORBS http://www.au.sorbs.net/cgi-bin/support and another SpamHaus http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup.lasso maybe helpful as well.

0 Likes
Scottye

I never said you (Verizon) is blacklisting me. My service (IP) is not on any blacklist.

I stated, your IP's assigned to customers are on the blacklist.

I posted an example showing Verizon being blacklisted.

As for contacting  Sobers, I did that weeks ago and they confirmed that some of Verizon's IP's are on their list (NOT MY IP) blocking email to people using their blacklist checks.

0 Likes
jamlex1946

We are having the same problem.  Our IT guy says that entire Verizon IP Banks are being Blacklisted.  Verizon refuses to help.  What should we do?

0 Likes