Verizon needs some math lessons
SystemWonk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently, our DSL connection has slowed down to 1216 kbps.  We are supposed to be receiving service in the range of 1.5 to 3.0 mbps (a week ago, it was 1792 kbps).  I called technical support tonight and they said that 1216 kbps was within the 1.5 to 3.0 mbps range.  What gives?  Why do I feel like they are always ripping their customers off with this kind of service and support?  I am very close to moving to Time Warner.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon needs some math lessons
buffettgirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

hey at least you're gettin that speed. I'm getting - wait for it - .71 mbps down.  for 1.5 to 3 range.  

This after I called to ask why I was paying so much for that speed and they realized I had been overpaying for years (because I never called to ask them to rebundle me..so for the past oh...5 years...they've been screwing me).  So I now save $20 a month but I am still not getting anywhere near 1.5 mbps.   Earlier today it was down as low as .6

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

0 Likes
SystemWonk
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I'll bite. But the answers to any of these questions have nothing to do with the fact that Verizon thinks that 1.2 falls between 1.5 and 3.0. I also want to make it clear that I am not talking about throughput speeds on my computer, but the constant PPPOE connection speed between the modem and central office.

My modem/router is an Actiontec GT724WGR.

Anything on my computer is completely irrelevant to the PPPOE connection down/up speed between my DSL modem and central office.  PPPOE connection speed is a function of the quality of the local infrastructure (copper pairs, relays, multiplexers, repeaters, etc).  A simple fix would be to install digital pair gain circuits to the local cross box, but Verizon just treats their customers like they are **bleep** and seems completely unwilling to upgrade their crumbling analog infrastructure.

buffettgirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told today that as long as your service was 80% of what you were supposed to get, then it was considered within the range.

*rolleyes*

0 Likes
SystemWonk
Enthusiast - Level 2

So if I used their logic, it should be OK to pay 80% of my bill.Smiley Mad

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the modem combo, go to Status -> DSL Status.

#2 Post that info that is in there.

#3 Also:

a) if you did not try to connect the modem to the NID - please do so.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

b) Then compare those DSL Stats (same / different).

0 Likes
buffettgirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

@SystemWonk wrote:

So if I used their logic, it should be OK to pay 80% of my bill.Smiley Mad

That's more or less  what I asked them LOL.  I said "So, if 80% is acceptable then I'll just send you 80% of my bill this month. "  he said well you can have 80% faster service too.  And I said, "well, that's fine. when I get 80% faster speed than promised I'll send you 80% more on my bill."  

fat chance of that happening LOL.  

0 Likes
SystemWonk
Enthusiast - Level 2

The modem/router is connected directly to the NID.  I branch voice off the NID using a central POTS ADSL filter.

Here are my DSL stats (after being connected for about 24 hrs)

DSL Status:

VPI: 0

VCI: 35

DSL Mode Setting: MMODE

DSL Negotiated Mode: G.DMT

Connection Status: Showtime

Speed (down/up): 1216/448 Kbps

ATM QoS class: UBR

Near End CRC Errors: 5/0

Far End CRC Errors: 3/0

Near End RS FEC: 0/0

Far End RS FEC: 91488/0

SNR Margin: 17/14

Attenuation: 63/31

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your margin is a low at the moment, which would probably mean you were optimized and are currently seeing trouble with sync.

If you have voice service, I would also check to make sure that is clear or noise or buzzing.

0 Likes