Verizon needs to fix my slow and disconnecting DSL
mridge50

Still having speed issues and disconnects on my DSL service. Verizon does a repair and it only lasts for about a week then disconnects start and speed drops. The problem always seems to be on their end. Can someone please get this corrected as it is quite annoying. This issue has been ongoing since 4-01-13, have talked to dsl techs and been to online chat with little to no improvement. Speed will go back up for a time then start dropping.

Tried to post here over the weekend but connection kept dropping. It appears as though Verizon does not care about the quality of their services as long as they provide a service, there is no follow up to make sure that the repair is still working. I am totally disgusted with this issue and I will be looking for alternatives to Verizon DSL service.

Added:My speed is supposed to be 7mb down and I get 1.4 to 2.4 now, just last Xmas I was getting 6.5-6.2 and it's just keeps getting slower and slower. Verizon upgraded my modem to a Westell 7500 in May.  No improvement and if anything, it's drops out more often.

Verizon rep told me that Verizon removed equipment and that uis why my DSL sucks now.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon needs to fix my slow and disconnecting DSL
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi mridge50,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Mridge50,

We do see that work has been done to correct the service. We have tried multiple times to confirm this with you but have had no response. As such we are now closing your Private Support Case. If you still require assistance of have any other questions about your account. Please make a new post and we will be happy to investigate with you.

-Adam_VZ

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

For your modem, as long as you do not have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it

Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

a) If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics]. Copy and paste the information on that page.

b) If using the Red and Black Firmware: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

c) Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

d) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

0 Likes
IgnoredCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem with my business account. They don't care.

1. I had them put both my lines on a business account to get faster DSL speeds in August. Since the installation, the speed and stability has not gone up, it has gone down substantially. Every time I waste hours jumping through the hoops they make customers jump through – listing to ongoing phone tree messages and pressing numbers, being transferred to someone in the Phillipines that has me unplug and reboot everything, only to always find that it is a problem at the Verizon office in Long Beach.

2. Wrote a letter to a Mark W. Adams (Director Business Marketing at Verizon DSL in Irving, Texas) who continuously sends me letters to upgrade my service (even though I have already tried to do that). It bounced back with the message “attempted – not known unable to forward.” This is typical of every attempt to contact Verizon in numerous ways. Verizon has to be the company on which the Peggy character is modeled.

3. Either they need to give me a stable connect that works (as you know I am only hear half the week and it does not work for the 3 or four evenings I am at this location) or allow me to cancel my ≥45 year relationship with Verizon with no penalty so I can take my business elsewhere.

5. Verizon is in breach of its contract to provide the service 1 Mbps DSL (at best I get 768k per Verizon's own speed test and half the time I run the speed test the line is so slow and unstable that it will not even run. I am paying ≥$131 each month, and getting less than all the years I was running DSL on my consumer line. I am paying +$31/month more for two phone lines and getting less for it.

6. There is no FIOS available to my building, and I keep reading they are trying to kill DSL. Well, I think the company is so stupid that they are killing their DSL customers instead, which is ruining its corporate image. I have no options with Verizon. Every problem turns out to be an over-loaded traffic circuit at the MCO office in Long Beach.

They don't care about there customers, and this forum is just to collect intelligence, but they do NOTHING with it.

albrst1
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is the same issue I have been having for months.  I am getting no where.    I bought a new modem for $40 and after being promised it would fix my problems it didn't.  I have to reboot the modem 10 times a day.  Mine has now been escalated to level 2 and this morning was told he had a fix and my internet would be better and back on by 5 pm.  Now 3 hours later I don't even have internet.

I think it's time for me to leave Verizon and if I am leaving for internet I might as well look for a bundle with phone and other things as well and just leave it completely.  So frustrating!  I feel like I am being lied to just to keep my money!

jbamberger21
Enthusiast - Level 1

All the sentiments being provided in this thread.....

Exactly what we are seeing here in my town in MA.

Periodic disconnects/slowdowns/etc.

And don't forget, for VZW's DSL (and other tiers), the (for example) 3mb serivce is "up to 3b".  So something like 1.5mb is in the fine print somewhere saying that that satisfies the SLA.

I am convinced it is a significant problem on VZW's end.

- My line was being "optimized" to try to give a more stable connection.  Fixed this

- Tech came out and reduced the run to be shorter and cut out about 1000 feet

- Tech came out and put an inline filter in our basement so our computer is on a DSL only line and receives no phone trafic that would need to be filtered out.

etc....

etc.....

I am ready to switch to Comcast cable.  No FiOS in our town and prob never will (VZW has to negotiate with each town separately in MA).

For the same **bleep** $30 for 3mb VZW DSL, I can get starter from Conmcast (well, plus $8 to start to rent their router) for service tiered from 3mb-6mb.  Or, I can take a promo offer of the same money for 25mb service for 12 months before it goes up (too high for my blood) but we can always back down (of course my fam prob would get used to this level).

I am just fed up with the same **bleep** problems (and subsequent phone calls) every 2-3 weeks like clockwork!!!

Comcast, here I come! 

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi jbamberger21,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

EJensen
Enthusiast - Level 1

It certainly does feel like something systemic.  We're in Baltimore and have similar issues with slowness and constant, frustrating signal drops.

When we lose DSL in the rain?  I can maybe understand it.

When we lose DSL signal every 7-10 minutes for three or four days at a stretch?  I can't understand it.

We're on our third router in several months.  The first tech came out and gave us a new router.  Same issue, I call it in, they send us a new (different) router.  (And a bit of a saga regarding sending the other router back, but that's secondary).  Now the shiny new router is doing the same thing. 

Every time I call support, they do the usual line tests and I wait patiently while they re-test all the same bells and whistles.  I don't know how much longer the routers can be scapegoated as the problem.

We're very frustrated and looking for new service options through other providers.  I'm tired of cursing Verizon daily and paying for a service that just plain doesn't work -- you can argue that 1.5 is "up to 3", but certainly zero doesn't count, does it Verizon?

-Erik

gbusby1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have to add my region.  (Westmoreland County Virginia) Major disappointment in speed and continuous disconnecitons.  I removed connections to all but one jack in my house which only feeds the router.  Didn't help.  I have cows for neighbors so Verizon DSL is my only choice, other than moving to satelitte internet.  I hear they have data limits so that likely wont work for me.  I dont know why anyone, wired or wireless, uses data limits when it's throughput that 99% of people use as a quality guide.  Does it really matter how much data I use, they aren't storing it.  Thats DSA's job.  But I digress.  I reboot my router mutliple times a day.  Sometimes it helps for a while while other times it makes no difference.  It didn't used to be like this, only in the last month or so.  But whatever is happening seems to be systemic.  I blame China.