Verizon still playing their "dishonest" games...be afraid, be VERY afraid!
SWong2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just another post to let everyone know Verizon is still playing their dishonest and underhanded games.  FYI I "had" two Verizon landlines one of which I am in the process of canceling & porting the number over to my Ooma Telo (www.ooma.com) from which Verizon is suppose to then close and terminate my account. Having performed my due diligence and realized how expensive Verizon is now compared to others,  I purchased and installed a Ooma Telo almost a month ago and had Ooma port the Verizon number over.  Paperwork, authorization and confirmation for porting  were emailed to me from Ooma leaving just for Verizon to complete their end.  It is now almost a month and as of this morning Verizon has yet to complete their part making me a captive audience to their outrageous pricing for another month. 

For those who are concerned over some of the outrageous prices charged by Verizon bordering on piracy, lack of follow-up, and a oblivious lack of concern for their customers, you might want to consider using  VOIP phone providers such as www.ooma.com, www.phonepower.com, www.magicjack.com, etc.    I have tried to give Verizon every reason why I would want to stay as a phone subscriber however time and time again they have not been very responsive to any of my concerns or needs. If my Verizon phone number porting takes any longer I will have no recourse but to then initiate a email campaign to the regulatory agencies just so I can motivate Verizon to do what is expected for their subscribers...even though who are in the process of canceling their Verizon services.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon still playing their "dishonest" games...be afraid, be VERY afraid!
netdude68
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon no longer cares about landline phone customers.  In fact they are in the process of dumping customers in 14 states to a new provider which many are concerned. Verizon's current CEO has very little regard for rural Americans who very much still depend on landline phone connections and has been quoted as saying that the old copper wireline phone system is officially dead.  Verizon's only concern now is to make its shareholders very lucrative profits at the expense of fair and honest customer support. They choose to no longer provide and maintain a network that is decades old and still to the disappointment of Verizon very much active and alive as many of rural Americans will tell you. Verizon puts profits first and customers last.  In the very few areas that Verizon will still have phone support expect the rates to even increase further and the customers service to be subpar at best. Their aim is to finish building out the FiOS network which their profits over the years of the entire Verizon network, not just the large cities and metro areas, has allowed them to do. Then the customers who do not want FiOS or cannot afford it, due to the expense has no other choice other then a competitor.  It's this mentality that will destroy Verizon if it does not start to change and put the customer back as top priority over greed and profit.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@netdude68 wrote:

Verizon no longer cares about landline phone customers.  In fact they are in the process of dumping customers in 14 states to a new provider which many are concerned.

Please tell me what 14 states you are talking about.

Thanks

0 Likes
netdude68
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here are the states impacted by this very raw deal Verizon has sold us out to. 

AZ, ID, IL, IN, MI, NV, NC (except Knotts Island), OH, OR, SC, Crows-Hermatite (VA), WA, WI, and the following communities in California that border AZ, NV and OR–Big River, Blythe, Coleville, Crescent City, Desert Center, Eagle Mountain, Earp, Felicity, Fort Dick, Gasquet, Klamath, Kneeland, Markleeville, Merced, Needles, Orick, Parker Dam, Ripley, Smith River, Topaz, Trinidad, Vidal and Winterhaven.

Customers no longer truly matter to Verizon unless your in a big metro area where they installed FiOS.  When will the states wakeup?  Verizon has consistently promised then broke the promises they made to rural Americans.  Our money helped to finance and pay for the FiOS  network that they so enjoy profitting from.  But do we get a chance to even see the fuit of our tarrifs, taxes and fees that help build it?  Nope, it's time the FCC stopped the nonsense with big corporate telecos such as Verizon.

I couldn't agree with you more!
SWong2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Netdude68!  I completely agree with you.  The good news for me is today, it looks like Verizon finally got off their lazy butt and finally (after 4 long weeks) ported my number over to my Ooma Telo (www.ooma.com) leaving me  my one remaining Verizon line which presently has bundled DSL.  Shopping now for just cable internet and am making the usual calls for the best pricing....so far it looks like Time Warner has a 6-month promo for $24.95 which then gets bumped to $29.95 after the introductory 6 month promo.  I would stick with dry loop Verizon DSL however the price difference between bundled (and soon to be cancelled)  DSL with my Double Freedom  and dry loop DSL is $83/mo versus $44.95mo.   While I have had Verizon DSL since it's inception the pricing has simply NOT kept up competitively with the times.  I need the speed hence want FIOS but since I reside in Queens, NY FIOS is not in my future since Verzion refuses to wire up our boro leaving cable as the only other option to DSL.

I am shocked many of the Verizon DSL subscribers do NOT know all they need is just a basic broadband connection and they can get both local and long distance phone service much cheaper than say Vonage, Optimum Online "Triple Play", and Verizon's own branded VOIP.  I've had this Ooma Telo for over a month now and I regret not having done this 2 years earlier ..... I could have saved over $800 or more by now.  I kind of feel bad for Verizon but like you said, they really do NOT care about any of us other than our money.  To ad insult to injury they were  "nickel and diming"  me to death for  options like caller id, call waiting, 3-way calling, call forwarding and voicemail which comes free with the Ooma Premier package.  I especially like the FREE second phone line Ooma also provides.   Verizon.....make me a deal on my remaining bundled Double Freedom package in the next 30 days or else my next jump is to your cable competitor Time Warner..Fair warning!  

0 Likes
Re: I couldn't agree with you more!
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Not defending Verizon but you know, I see EXACTLY the same complaints about nearly every provider out there. Some are thrilled with Verizon service. Some hate it. Same thing can be said about Time Warner (you couldnt pay me enough to use them), comcast, DTV, Dish, etc. And name one major provider that does care about rural customers. NONE of them do. Thats not where the money is. And dont forget, that is why they are in business in the first place, to make money. Yes, they want to focus on FIOS. And NO it is not just in the Metro areas, FIOS in fact is more prevalent in the rural areas in many locals. Yes, Copper is dead. has been for years. Verizon is just one of the first to do anything about it. ATT was actually the first with the U-verse, but they faltered on the deployment. Verizon just took the idea, corrected the problems and ran with it. There is not a major provider out there that is not already making the change to fiber or will be shortly. Even Comcast and Time Warner are advertising their Fiber systems. They are just playing catch up now. As for prices, I dont know about where you live, but Verizon is about the middle of the pack in terms of price. The only true cheap ones are the VOIP systems. While I see many people post about how good they are, I've never met any of them. All the experiences I've had with VOIP have been poor. But then everyone's experience is different. VOIP is only as good as the internet connection that it uses. As far as Verizon selling off several "rural" states. That may not be good for the consumers, but it makes great business sense. Verizon wants to stay profitable. If they dont make money, they go out of business (which is even worse for the customers BTW). No, they sell off the areas that drain more money than they make, keep the areas that are profitable, refocus their drive on improving those areas and grow. Now taking all the politics, customer relations, and other bias out of the equation, and looking from a strictly business point of view. This is not only a good idea, it is a requirement to stay business healthy.  Now you've had a bad experience and you are quite right to switch companies because of it. Take your money to a business that respects you (If you can manage to find one) or at least to one that you can live with. I have to say, that I've had exactly the opposite experience with Verizon that you have. The prices are very competitive, they've never given me wrong information (intentionally), and with only one small exception, everyone I've dealt with has been beyond friendly, helpful, and very professional. I've had my issues with them like everyone does, but they've always made it right, and done it quickly. So the point I'm trying to make is that, do your research before you make any change for or against Verizon or any other company because it all evens out in the wash.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@netdude68 wrote:

Customers no longer truly matter to Verizon unless your in a big metro area where they installed FiOS.  When will the states wakeup?  Verizon has consistently promised then broke the promises they made to rural Americans.  Our money helped to finance and pay for the FiOS  network that they so enjoy profitting from.  But do we get a chance to even see the fuit of our tarrifs, taxes and fees that help build it?  Nope, it's time the FCC stopped the nonsense with big corporate telecos such as Verizon.

Just fyi, your talking regulation. Thats the way it was 30 years ago and was so bad that Americans demanded de-regulation and broke up the ma bell's. Now you want to go back to the system that failed so miserably?

0 Likes
gigsi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am wondering about those 'very lucrative profits'. The are paying an annual dividend yield of  2.7%  Is that lucrative?

0 Likes