Verizon tech suggested he lower my provisioned speed
Bob22301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon tech suggested he lower my provisioned speed from 3.0  to 1.4  as the best way to stop my dramatic download fluxuations and drop outs.   Does this make sense to anyone ?   The Verizon person who ran the copper from co to house says it's a good clean line.    

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon tech suggested he lower my provisioned speed
Bob22301
Enthusiast - Level 2

After all the calls over  four days and much hold time,   they finally issued a trouble ticket to my local Verizon support. He fixed it without out coming here or going to replace the card at the unmanned central office.   Wish I knew what he did in case it happens again.  Now downloading a steady 2.75 mb.  Hallelujah !!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

DSL is based on distance from the central office. Its outter limit is just around 18,000 ft. The further away from the office you are the slower the DSL speed. In order for you not to loose synch and drop out you need about 10 db or better on the SNR or you will keep loosing your connection. The copper line also needs no load coils on it and the line needs to be clear of metallic noise troubles. So the answer is yes it makes sense if your line is clear and you are just too far away from the central office.

0 Likes
Bob22301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I'm 7000 ft  from the office and the Dlink2750B will not give me noise levels, but the tech on the phone said the line has no noise.  

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

They should not be downgrading you at that distance. Sonething else is wrong. Have you tried plugging the DSL modem in at your network interface device to rule out your home's internal wiring?

0 Likes
Bob22301
Enthusiast - Level 2

After all the calls over  four days and much hold time,   they finally issued a trouble ticket to my local Verizon support. He fixed it without out coming here or going to replace the card at the unmanned central office.   Wish I knew what he did in case it happens again.  Now downloading a steady 2.75 mb.  Hallelujah !!!

0 Likes