Very Slow DSL
ebdjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I pay for a 1.5Mbps DSL service.  Way too often my DSL slows to a crawl.   Today my download speed was 0.35mbps.  Upload speed was 0.25Mps.  The issue occurs multiple times a month.

I reboot my router and PC and DSL speed improves.  What do I have to do to get reliable DSL at the speeds I pay for?

Rebooting my router on a regular basis is absurd. 

Re: Very Slow DSL
JShafer1
Enthusiast - Level 1
I am having the same exact issue and I thinks it's a bunch of crap. I pay all this money and for what because i keep having to reset all the time. It's funny I have noticed my bill have gone up granted only a few dollars but my service just keeps getting worse and worse. Bad part is in my area Verizon is the only high speed option available. I can guarantee if we get another option available I will be done with Verizon!!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A slowdown fixed by rebooting the modem is typically the sign of a modem losing sync. If possible, supply some Transceiver Statistics for us. For comparison, get one copy of the transceiver Statistics during a time where the connection is working, fresh from a modem reboot, and then get another from a time where the Internet is not working, or is otherwise very slow.

If you have a Westell or ActionTec modem, we can get the stats. For a D-Link, it's unknown how to get that yet for me.

Westell modems (old): http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm

Westell modems (new): http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

ActionTec modems: Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and click on Status. From here, click on DSL Status.

Simply copy and paste the information from the page, or take a screenshot. Be sure to remove any IP address information you see if you're pasting from an ActionTec gateway.

The default login for the modems should be one of the following if you have not changed it:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/verizon

admin/verizon1

If the username and password is admin/password, the modem will require you to reset the password to something else before letting you in.

Also, if you have a landline, take note if your voice service has any sort of noise on it, such as static, popping, crackling, or other noises especially during times where the DSL is having issues. This is a sign of a physical line issue that must be corrected.

0 Likes
ebdjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a D-Link modem.  I will be glad to send the transceiver information if I can find out how where to find it.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ebdjr wrote:

I have a D-Link modem.  I will be glad to send the transceiver information if I can find out how where to find it.

To my knowledge, no one has managed to find and report the location of the Transceiver Statistics page on the D-Liink mode, so we'll need Verizon to grab the stats from the DSLAM, and while they're at it, check the logs on their end to see if the line is dropping out physucally, or is dropping out on another sense.

0 Likes
JimWDK
Enthusiast - Level 1

I SEE A LOT OF POSTS BUT I SEE NO ANSWER OTHER THAN TURNING THE MODEM OFF WHICH I'VE DONE MANY TIMES. I FEEL LIKE I'M JUST GIVING MY MONEY AWAY. DOES VERIZON ACCEPT CALLS IN REGARDS TO THIS ISSUE?

ebdjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did call Verizon and they did send out a technician.  Nothing was wrong - of course .  However, Verizon did do something electronically that supposedly shortened the number of feet of wire between my modem and the local router. Shorter distance, stronger signal.   My modem locked up again 48 hours later.  I am going cable.

0 Likes