Very Slow Internet Again
cigarmac
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been posting on the Subject "Very Slow Internet", though I did not start that Subject. It is marked Solved. My problem is not solved. I lost my 1.5 Mbps service last December (down to .2 Download). Verizon said I could no longer get 1.5 Enhanced service, but sent me a new Gateway (Westell 7500) to replace my 2004 modem, and switched me to .5-1.0 Mbps. Since then I can only get .2-.4 Mbps. I hooked up directly to my NID and still get only the same low download speed. I was helped by Smith6612 and asked to include my Transceiver Statistics:

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision

A2pB020b3.d20h

Vendor ID Code

4D54

Line Mode

ADSL2

Data Path

FAST

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path

Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)

Margin (dB)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Transmit Power (dBm)

3/12/12 2:30 pm Direct Wire Gateway to Grey Box

He noted that I should not have Transmit Power of 0, so now what do I do?? I am ready to drop my Verizon service. Help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Very Slow Internet Again
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with your service. We'd be glad to have this checked out. I have sent you a private message so we can get some more information.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK, we'll move help over to this thread for your issue. Here's my reply to you in the other thread.

Pretty sure we've got two issues here.

1: Even though stats improved while connecting to your NID, the downstream still seems to be noisy. The margin on that should be higher for the distance, but it is hard to tell how strong of a signal is coming in without seeing the Transmit power. I think we're going to need someone in Verizon to get the stats directly from the DSLAM itself to determine how well the line is running. If someone could do that so we can see them here, that'd be awesome.

Either way, I'd like to see if you can get a tech sent out to identify any source of noise between your home and the DSLAM. You should be able to get around 7Mbps (maybe 10Mbps/1Mbps!) if the line can be cleaned up/fixed enough and you're not coming out of a remote where speeds are limited to 3Mbps/768kbps.

2: We might have a possible case of Juniperitus here. If your speeds consistently test at 300-500kbps during any time of the day and nothing else is using the connection, it's a pretty solid diagnosis at this point. We would have to find a way to get you off a Juniper if there is a Redback router in Verizon's CO still available (they're being retired, a shame).

0 Likes
cigarmac
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Smith 6612:  I finally got enough time to call Verizon support on 3/21 to see if I could get them to do the things you said in your e-mail. I was on the phone for 50 minutes first going through the automated things one has to do ("turn off modem, wait, turn on", "Is the problem fixed?")  then finally getting to a human being, someone in India, who wanted to do a screen sharing and blame my computer. She was concerned whether I had a laptop or a desktop computer (I have both connected to my Gateway). About all I got out of this was that Verizon uses www.speedtest.net and not www.verizon.com/checkyourspeed . So after this 50 minutes of talking and waiting while she checked the line, etc., I got the following test results:

speedtest:    .62 Mbps Download, .13 Mbps Upload which the support tech says proves my system is operating within specs.

verizon/checkyourspeed: .306 Download, .135 Upload which seems to differ quite a bit, but evidently is not the right speed test to use (even though it is the one Verizon says to use on their website).

While in the screen sharing mode, I pulled up my Transceiver Statistics to show her,  and asked about the Transmit Power of 0dBm and the tech clearly did not know what this screen was showing (obviously had never seen Transceiver Statistics) or what Transmit Power was, etc. I asked about having a tech check the noise between my home and the DSLAM (per your last message) and she kept saying "my speed meets the minimum specification and that was that". I asked again if my line could support the Enhanced speed of 1.5 Mbps I previous had until it dropped to .2 last December, and all I could get out of her was "my speed meets the minimum specification for the service I now have."  This was really frustrating.

Needless to say I think Verizon has lost their senses. My alternative now is to call Comcast and see what they will charge me to run a cable from the nearest access point (I live in rural Middleburg, Virginia but they do have Comcast cable in some areas nearby). I keep seeing others having speed problems, so I guess Verizon just has too many customers and no competent people to service them. They are going to lose me as soon as I can get something else that works.

Thanks for trying to help me.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let's see what we can do for you, as far as pulling someone to get this issue fixed. Failing that, I've got a few other cards to play.

Stay tuned!

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with your service. We'd be glad to have this checked out. I have sent you a private message so we can get some more information.

cigarmac
Enthusiast - Level 2

A big THANK YOU to you. Verizon sent out a technician on Friday and another one on Saturday. They fixed all of my problems and my gateway no longer drops, all problems were resolved and I have a decent speed once again. I appreciate all of your help to accomplish this.