Very slow and frequent drops in connection
edgoldman

Hi there,

I've spent many hours on the phone with Verizon over the last few months due to a slow and frequently dropped connection.  I'm pretty far away from the nearest station, so slow DSL is my only option.  I recently dropped my service to 1Mbps with no improvement in reliability. 

We've had a tech out here at least twice since then.  The first said there was no problem with anything b/c the service was working while he was there.   The modem was replaced a year ago, it's the Westell 7500 and both techs said it was fine. 

The second tech said everything seemed to be working well, but suggested the drop from 3Mbps to 1Mbps (1.5 is not offered any more, apparently?)  Again, that hasn't fixed the drops or lost connectivity issues.  When it happens, the DSL light stays solid, but the internet light goes out completely when the service is out.  I have also seen below 200kbps download on the Verison speed IP page (192.168.1.1). 

Speedtest.net ping time just now was 4021ms and download speed was 0.1 Mbps, upload 0.03 Mpbs!

The young lady in Costa Rica on my last phone call suggested that I had too much phone line between the wall jack and my modem (about 25 feet through two extensions), but that's the way the original installer set it up years ago. 

Do you think this is the issue?

If that's the case, then shouldn't Verizon send another tech to re-install the modem closer to the jack and run thick, well-shielded CAT5e cable from the modem to our computer, since the original install that we paid for was incorrect?

I've read where other people with similar issues have theirs resolved when a local tech found old worn out wiring nearby.  Also where the tech replaced something in the NID which solved the issue.

What do you recommend?

Thanks,

-Ed

0 Likes
Re: Very slow and frequent drops in connection
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I am sorry to hear about the problems with your DSL service. You had mentioned about the connection in the NID. Have you tested the speed with the modem plugegd directly into the NID?  The modem losing the internet light has nothing to do with the ethernet connection between your computer to the modem.

0 Likes