Very slow upload, high packet discards - Pittsburgh
joe1210
Enthusiast - Level 1

I´ve had Verizon DSL in a Pittsburgh suburb for about 8 years without problems until a few days ago.

My plan is 3 Mbps down/768Kbps up and my modem is a Westell 2200. I used to measure

speed consistently at about 2.8 Mbps down and 700 Kbps up. Sites used to load within seconds.

The first symptom of my current trouble is that I am unable to send email with a 300 KB attachment

via Yahoo. Some sites take forever to load. Speed measurements on dslreports and speedtest.net now usually give the expected download speed but sometimes give extremely high ping times and upload speed measurements always HANG / never finish or get aborted. 

I called Verizon support and they suggested connecting the computer directly to the modem

with an Ethernet cable. I did that but it doesn´t help.

Modem statistics show the expected speeds with SNR ratio 20 dB down and 12 dB up. Ethernet and WAN packet errors and discards are none EXCEPT the WAN interface has a very large number of OUT PACKET DISCARDS (more than half of out packets sent).

High WAN out packet discards explain slow upload speeds, but what could be the cause? 

It seems that the WAN line is OK given the SNR ratios, no errors or discards in and no errors out.

The problems is specifically high WAN out discards.

How can I get Verizon to verify the port and congestion on their side? That would seem a likely

cause, right?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Very slow upload, high packet discards - Pittsburgh
joe1210
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions. However, the problem subsequently seems resolved without any change from our side. I´d guess the problem was congestion or outage/maintenance on Verizon´s side.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

Which means..

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

a) If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over [b]Troubleshooting[/b], go to [b]DSL[/b], and choose [b]Transceiver Statistics[/b]. Copy and paste the information on that page.

b) If using the Red and Black Firmware: Go to [b]System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics[/b]. Copy and paste the information on that page.

c) Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

d) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/[b]Serial Number[/b].

By [b]Serial Number[/b], I don't mean type in the words [b]Serial Number[/b]. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

@joe12 wrote:

I´ve had Verizon DSL in a Pittsburgh suburb for about 8 years without problems until a few days ago.

My plan is 3 Mbps down/768Kbps up and my modem is a Westell 2200. I used to measure

speed consistently at about 2.8 Mbps down and 700 Kbps up. Sites used to load within seconds.

The first symptom of my current trouble is that I am unable to send email with a 300 KB attachment

via Yahoo. Some sites take forever to load. Speed measurements on dslreports and speedtest.net now usually give the expected download speed but sometimes give extremely high ping times and upload speed measurements always HANG / never finish or get aborted. 

I called Verizon support and they suggested connecting the computer directly to the modem

with an Ethernet cable. I did that but it doesn´t help.

Modem statistics show the expected speeds with SNR ratio 20 dB down and 12 dB up. Ethernet and WAN packet errors and discards are none EXCEPT the WAN interface has a very large number of OUT PACKET DISCARDS (more than half of out packets sent).

High WAN out packet discards explain slow upload speeds, but what could be the cause? 

It seems that the WAN line is OK given the SNR ratios, no errors or discards in and no errors out.

The problems is specifically high WAN out discards.

How can I get Verizon to verify the port and congestion on their side? That would seem a likely

cause, right?

joe1210
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions. However, the problem subsequently seems resolved without any change from our side. I´d guess the problem was congestion or outage/maintenance on Verizon´s side.

0 Likes
mlaferriere

Is anyone still monitoring this thead as I am having pretty much the same issue. The out discard packets are high and my upload speed is a fraction of what it usually is. I usually get just over 700K upload but now am luck to get 100K and that is iffy. Oftentimes it will time out before anything gets sent. I did try plugging the PC directly into the modem (useless as expected) and even plugged the modem directly into the customer side of the telco box and removed the wires leading into thouse which isolates any chance of a 'cordless phone' or other device interfering with the DSL signal.

I also cut & pasted the information which may be relating in this post.

Packet Information

VPI / VCI
In Errors
In Discard Packets
In Non Unicast Packets
In Unicast Packets
In Octets

Out Errors
Out Discard Packets
Out Non Unicast Packets
Out Unicast Packets
Out Octets