Want to switch from an old Westell 2100 to a Netgear Wirless G Router w/built-in DSL Modem
dysonivy

I currently have a very old Westell 2100 DSL modem.  I recently purchased a Netgear Wireless -G router with built in DSL moden (DG834Gv4). 

I was hoping to be able to replace the Westell 2100 with the Netgear but I have not had any success.  It seems not matter what configuration I use the Netgear is not recognized.  I'm new at using a router and the Netgear doesn't give really good directions. 

I'm really at a lost and like most I hate dealing with the Verizon techs as most of them are unable to help after being on the phone with them for a hour or more.   HELP

0 Likes
Re: Want to switch from an old Westell 2100 to a Netgear Wirless G Router w/built-in DSL Modem
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

What router were you using with the Westell 2100?  Are you trying to use the new Netgear as a modem only or a combo modem/router?  If you wish to use the Netgear as a modem only and use your old router, you need to set the modem to BRIDGE mode in the Netgear menu.  You should be able to perform this by connecting the modem to your computer with an ethernet cable and opening a browser window.  Typing in http//192.168.1.1 should get you into the Netgear menu.  One of the screens should permit you to set the bridge mode.  If you are attempting to use the Netgear as both a modem and router the defautl settings should be OK.  The installation cd should help you confirm any specifics.