Was My DSL Speed Dropped?
UncleanlyGore6
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the hurricane/power outage my DSL wouldn't sync on my Westell 7500, so I called Verizon.  They told me to rotate my lines (switch ends) and they paused for a while...then my DSL/Internet cameback.  It felt sort of strange that just doing something small like that would completely fix it, I thought they must have done something on their side.  I start using the interwebs and notice it's a bit slow, I do a speed test and it's going half the speed it should, 550-650kbps (I have 1-3mbps Download Plan, but I usually have around 1.5-2).  I check the Transceiver Statics and got this:

Transceiver Information
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)
Down Stream Path 864
Up Stream Path 160

Did they do a quick fix and drop my speed so my DSL could sync up?

Re: Was My DSL Speed Dropped?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your sync rate appears to be hard locked at the 768kbps/128kbps provisioning rates, since they match that profile exactly. IF you could, can you provide the rest of your Transceiver Statistics? They will include data such as Attenuation, Margin, Line mode and Power. Need to see if the line itself needs repair and Verizon simply lowered the speed enough to allow your modem and the DSLAM to talk with each other.

0 Likes
UncleanlyGore6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)
Down Stream Path 864
Up Stream Path 160
Margin (dB)
Down Stream Path 30.3
Up Stream Path 23.0
Line Attenuation (dB)
Down Stream Path 8.0
Up Stream Path 6.0
Transmit Power (dBm)
Down Stream Path 3.0
Up Stream Path 3.0

0 Likes
UncleanlyGore6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any analysis or opinions?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for missing your reply back. Those statistics are really nice. There's no reason to have needed to drop your line. You're on a short enough line to be able to handle the 15Mbps package if Verizon would sell it to you; they would just need to clean the upstream up slightly.

Get Verizon to set your speeds back to 3Mbps, or higher if you fall under their new pricing scheme. You shoudn't be that low. The first thing Verizon sometimes does in an effort to get a line working is to drop the speed. Sure, it works in some cases but it's not the end all, fix all, nor is it the best solution. It could be possible that at the time, a speed drop WAS needed due to lines being repaired, but I really thing it was a case of equipment not coming back online after the hurricane.