Website Technology Issue
NatSov
Enthusiast - Level 2

For ten years I have been having trouble, don't have access to anything comparable for my needs, and Verizon tells me I need to upgrade to FIOS, but to upgrade to FIOS I would need to buy 3 new computers, with all new hardware for the specific tasks I use them for.  Verizon is no longer supporting E-mail, they sold us out to AOL.   

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Website Technology Issue
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Microsoft ended mainstream support for XP SP3 on April 14th, 2009.  They continued to offer extended support for security issues only until April 8th 2014.  At this point, you're over six years out of date with no security updates.  Your machines have serious security risks that are not being remediated.  That alone should be reason to upgrade, regardless of what internet connection you use.

Website technology has advanced in leaps and bounds since XP SP3 support ended.  If you're using Internet Explorer as your browser, it is seriously out of date and will have issues with many modern web sites.  That might be why Verizon.com doesn't work on your machines.

The changes from Windows XP to Windows 10 are not up to Verizon.  That's Microsoft.  It is much, much, much more then "A tool here and there" and a "change to a security protocol."  Windows 10 is a significantly better and secure OS then Windows XP.  But you don't seem to want to hear that.

That said, you probably can use your ancient XP machines on FiOS, as long as they have Ethernet ports or at least 802.11b WiFi.  Since XP SP3 is years out of support, you won't find anyone at Verizon who will help you with issues.  But they should work.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

NatSov
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent 7 hours on phone with Verizon tech, trying to figure out why I couldn't even visit Verizon.com.  He decided it was my OS, Windows XP SP3, that I have been using for 15 yrs and told me I probably wouldn't be able to use my computers because of the new ones, are so much better and all the HYPE.  They are not, the New OS is the same as Windows 95.  They add a Tool here and there, change security protocol, and boom, tell you it is better, faster, and all the other crap, but it isn't.  This is how they force you to buy new devices, whereas simple support with updates, is all that is needed.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Microsoft ended mainstream support for XP SP3 on April 14th, 2009.  They continued to offer extended support for security issues only until April 8th 2014.  At this point, you're over six years out of date with no security updates.  Your machines have serious security risks that are not being remediated.  That alone should be reason to upgrade, regardless of what internet connection you use.

Website technology has advanced in leaps and bounds since XP SP3 support ended.  If you're using Internet Explorer as your browser, it is seriously out of date and will have issues with many modern web sites.  That might be why Verizon.com doesn't work on your machines.

The changes from Windows XP to Windows 10 are not up to Verizon.  That's Microsoft.  It is much, much, much more then "A tool here and there" and a "change to a security protocol."  Windows 10 is a significantly better and secure OS then Windows XP.  But you don't seem to want to hear that.

That said, you probably can use your ancient XP machines on FiOS, as long as they have Ethernet ports or at least 802.11b WiFi.  Since XP SP3 is years out of support, you won't find anyone at Verizon who will help you with issues.  But they should work.

Good Luck