Weekly DSL outages
Wonapalei

I've been having a rather peculiar issue for the past couple of weeks.  Last Tuesday, 7/29/08, I discovered around 8:30pm that my DSL internet was out.  A couple of hours later, just as I was in the middle of setting up a tech call as phone troubleshooting hadn't worked, it came back on--around 10:30 or so.  It then behaved itself perfectly well until today, exactly a week later, it went out again at a little after 8pm.  This time, I decided to wait, and at 9:15pm it came back briefly, went out again at 9:30, and then returned at 10:11pm.  It's now an hour since then, and it seems perfectly fine.  I, however, am completely boggled.

There was really only one difference between the two episodes: during the first one, the internet light on the modem was completely off and the DSL light was blinking.  During the second one, the DSL light remained steady green, and the internet light was alternately red (for about 2 min at a time) or off (for about 5 min at a time).  Otherwise, they were identical.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?  I really don't think it's anything internal; I literally did nothing but wait--no rebooting, no power cycling; the modem just lost connectivity and then regained it.  But what could Verizon possibly be doing every Tuesday evening that might cause this issue? 

0 Likes
Re: Weekly DSL outages
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Post your modem stats so that we can see if you have an issue.
0 Likes
Wonapalei
Do you mean speed?  If so, http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/ informs me that my speed is 1.97Mb/s down / 640.01Kb/s up.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
No, that is not what I mean. Post your modem stats from here. 192.168.1.1/transtat.htm
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 08-06-2008 10:37 PM
0 Likes
bc20878
I have just posted a similar event  - I am in the Greater Washington DC area - but my time of day for knock off is about 3 or 4 in the afternoon.  It is off for several hours and then just pops back up and it runs like a bat out of hell for about an hour or two then seems a bit sluggish ever after... what are you guys up to at V?
0 Likes
Debbie4747

I seem to be having this problem too in Central Jersey.  The other night Verizon was doing maintenance on their system.  I didn't know this and was told there was an outage after playing with the wires and stuf for about 1/2 hours with the tech on the phone.  I was promised it would be up and running the next morning.  It was.  However, when I got home last night I couldn't connect.  My computer said I was connected, the tech said I was connected but I got nothing.  Even the setting on my iphone said it was working, still no service. 

After much nonsense with checking the lines and moving the entire set up to another outlet, still no connection.  Verizon had me shur off the modem and they said they were going to monitor my lines for 24 hours.  They feel it's on their end, just where they don't know.  Maybe my lines,, maybe the lines on the telephone poles.  They said they will be sending someone out to check all my lines and the lines on the phone once the 24 hour monitoring deal is over.

I had no problems whatsoever with connectivity until they "maintained" they system.  I hope we can get this problem fixed soon.

0 Likes