Weeks of massive slowdowns on DSL
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3
For 3 weeks now I have had massive slowdowns with my wired DSL connection. I use a Westell 2200 and a Linksy's 4 port router. Two computers are hooked up to the router. I have had DSL for years now through Verizon with no big problems. Usually the speeds are fast and smooth. But 3 weeks ago, all of a sudden the connection slowed down. In the mornings it is usually fine (maybe a little laggy/slow) but by afternoon it slows up and by evening it is sometimes slower than dial-up. Tonight it is so bad that I cannot even perform a speed test. The last speed test I did was about 3 hours ago and it came in at 59Kbps download. This morning it was 657Kbps. Plus when my son or I try to play an online game, we end up getting disconnected continually and when not disconnecting the game lags terribly. I have tried calling support twice and each time they are very friendly and try to help but there is no resolution to the problem. Both computers are free of viruses, in fact the pc I am using now is only 5 days old. But the problem began 3 weeks ago so it has nothing to do with the computers. We tried connecting directly to the modem but still no good. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Should I request a repairman to come in?
Re: Weeks of massive slowdowns on DSL
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

No don't bother probably the same problem I am having over crowding at the CO or some bandwidth hogs.

I have had slow downs for the last year. For the last month dead stop at times. I finally Called "Tech support" {please keep your posts courteous}  made me download software onto my machine, I really hate that. I was told my problem was my old modem. So I brought a new modem and router guess what same thing. I need a number for someone at verizon who can actually help me. The problem is loading at the CO as my connection springs back to life after midnight. Hopefully someone here will get me a number and verizon will fix my problem. I got them allot of customers over the years. I can also fix their loading problem by having massive number of customers quit their system. PS THEY WON'T BE GOING TO FIOS.

I already switched my company over to Cable. I will be following soon if my home is not fixed soon.

Message Edited by kgrach on 12-30-2008 05:39 PM
Message Edited by KaLin on 12-30-2008 07:45 PM
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
What mode is your Westell 2200 in?

Part of the reason, of why I am asking..

#1 DSLR (.dslreports.com) All FAQs » Verizon Online DSL FAQ » 4. Hardware » How do I use a router with the Westell 2200?

With the Full URL of: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9265

#2 And since it is a modem combo, it has something called modem status.

--

#3 Since I do not know what the Westell 2200, looks like: Please log-in to the Westell 2200, and show the first screen that you see in it.

As need be, see: portforward.com forum -› Knowledge Base -› How to take and post screenshots

With the full URL of: http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1161783796
0 Likes
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3
dslr595148, thank you but I don't think the modem settings are the problem. For one thing, the modem and router were working perfectly fine for years, up until 3 1/2 weeks ago. However, one of the tech support people did change the settings to bridge on the modem in an attempt to fix the problem, but it didn't help. I spent another 2 hours with tech support yesterday and still no solution. I asked him what speeds I am supposed to be getting and he told me around 1500 download. I seem to be getting that 1500 in the mornings but then it goes downhill from there. It is now 12 noon and my speed is already down to 776 from 1548 this morning. By this afternoon it will probably be in the 100's and by tonight it will be worse than that. When this problem first started up, it wasn't this bad, in fact I just attributed it to Internet overload of Christmas shoppers. But then it kept getting worse so I knew something was wrong. I have about reached the end of my patience. Every time I call support I get someone different and they all try the same things and say the same things.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Insist on having a technician sent out.  One thing folks don't take into consideration is that Dsl is delivered to your house by copper wires. 

Things that effect your connection:

Distance from our Central Office to your home. (Should be within 3.5 miles)

Trouble in the line...You mention time of the day...consider wires expand and contract with weather conditions...

HI-resistance Opens, crossed lines, shorts or grounds on the wire will also effect your speed.

If you can't get the Dsl department to dispatch someone out...Try this first!!!

Then call the repair department and tell them you have static on the line.

As for the loading at the Central office...This is the first i've ever heard of this...

0 Likes
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thank you Provider7. That's what I have been trying to do. However, every time I call their support number I get an outsourced rep and they always tell me they need to do everything possible first before submitting me for a repair call. Now the latest is that my new computer has a lot of processes running in the background and they can not submit for repair until the processes are lower. This is rediculous! It's a brand new computer running Vista 64 bit, it has a lot of processes! Plus the problem started with my old computer so it has nothing to do with the processes on my new one. I will try calling again and hopefully I won't be outsourced. 
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Some of the most frustrating things to deal with is automated messages and Outsourcing.  From my experience with the Dsl division you will almost get someone from overseas.  I did however get a number that got me to the good folks in Canada...try this number (REMOVED)

I find them pleasant to work with and good at what they do.

Folks, I'm sorry I had to remove the Number.  Aparently the call center is generally used for internal use within Verizon.  After posting the number their call volume went up leaps and bounds.

Message Edited by Provider7 on 02-05-2009 08:46 PM
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you so much Provider7! I tried that number this afternoon when my downloads went down to 100 and lower and I actually talked to a real live person! With no automated inbetween either. He said  that they will test the lines and see if there is anything to fix there and in 24 to 48 hours I should get a call to verify if I still have a problem. If I do still have a problem, they said I can then set it up for someone to come in to check it out.

** I'm still in a daze by the fact that I talked to someone who sounded knowledgeable and helpful.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Yea, they are a good group of people.  Hope everything works out.

Walt

0 Likes
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

Don't hold your breath. I am still trying to get my problem fixed.

{please keep it relevant} 

First things first if your problem goes away late at night or early morning then it has nothing to do with your equipment or your line.

My problem mirrors yours. Had DSL for many years now . During the last year or so,  evening surfing could be a bit laggy and slow. The Last few weeks evenings have been intolerable can't even bring up a simple web page. With perfect speeds returning after midnight and in the early morning avg 2800 down and 600 up. I don't know about afternoons as I am at work, but come evenings bandwidth drops to below 400 but that number is really deceptive because latency goes through the roof.

Web sites fail to load and emails time out and pings either time out or read into full seconds. I don't file share, I don't download music or movies all I want is to be able to check the news and get my emails that does not sound so hard now does it.

I kept calling tech support and doing the same thing over and over. Sometimes getting a somewhat competent person promising a fix but they just close  the trouble ticket and nothing gets done.  So tonight I was firm, polite but firm I did everything the tech requested (even though I have done it many timesbefore. ) I then explained my problem and insisted on getting transfered to someone who can get my problem fixed. The tech gave me a local number in my area code and then tried to transfer me but the office was closed.

I will let you know how I do later today when the office opens.

Do some checking like I did lately and you will find out  the net is loaded with plenty of Verizon customers complaining of the same exact problem. Evening surfing becoming impossible.
Verizon is overcrowding their networks and it needs to be fixed as I am sic of getting my emails and posting messages at 2 in the morning..

Kgrach

{You have received information in your private message box -- > . It should be gold. Please Read.} 

Message Edited by KaLin on 01-06-2009 07:59 AM
0 Likes