Re: Weeks of massive slowdowns on DSL
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Norcris,

I'm really glad to hear they got it resolved. Those darn circuit cards... I hope the 2 other guys have the same luck... Stay on top of it guys. 😉
HS345
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too have been plagued by varying speeds since upgrading from 768 service, to 1.5 service, about a week ago.The speed always seems to slow down around 9:00pm, and pick back up after midnight, though I admit I am not absolutely certain of that pattern. Peak service is usually between 1.0mbps & 1.5mbps, slow service is usually about 500kpbs.

I have had tech support on the phone (outsourced) twice, and done two tech chats. They always run through the same script, os, router, malware, too close to giant magnets (kidding), yadda yadda. (no disrespect, I know they're just doing their job).

Last night the chat technician asked if she could take control of my computer and "optimize" my settings. I agreed. She went through and deleted all temp files (which I do on a regular basis), reset ie default settings, cleared temp & private data in Firefox, and tried to delete Prefetch data (I was on a limited user acct), and a couple other things I didn't' exactly catch. After she had performed these actions, she tested the speed again on Verizon's speed test page, and speed was back up to 1.0mbps. At that point she declared victory, and promptly skedaddled. Trouble is, by this time it was almost midnight. By midnight, speeds were back up to 1.5mbps. So I can't be certain her "optimization" actions are what actually cured my ills.

So far, my speed has stayed around 1.5, even on an admin user acct which she didn't "optimize". Sorry so long winded, I'm almost done, honest. Robot Very Happy

My question is, could anything the technician did, actually have any effect on my DSL speed? I guess time will tell, literally.

Message Edited by HS345 on 01-12-2009 12:23 PM
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
THe answer is yes...many a time programs or settings can effect the performance of your online activities.  By setting everything back to default eliminates old programs from interfering with your Dsl connection.  Optimizing is very important too.  Windows is usually set with certain parameters that don't always allow for the best performance with high speed internet.  Tweaking the operating system is a quick reliable fix.
HS345
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's good to know, thanks Provider 7.

How would you account for the varying speeds at different times of day, and on the user account the technician didn't adjust? Not trying to be argumentative, I just want to know. 🙂

Also, I read in the tech support section of Verizon something about an optimization tool, but there was no indication of where to aquire this tool. Do you know anything about it?

0 Likes
dadein

WOW.... I have just read through this thread after spending 3 full weeks trying to track down and fix the same type of problem!!!  I have been having extreme slowdowns and connectivity problems EVERY DAY starting at about 5:00PM and extending into the night.  By morning all is well. 

I had been working with support people sorting through all of the usual stuff (power cycle, reboot, etc.) and on Saturday a tech came to my house to replace the cable coming into the house. Of course while he was here in the(during the day) I was not having the problem. He replaced the cable and checked the line and he said that I should be able to get a 3.0/786 connection.  After 5PM the problem returned.

I have been provisioned for the 1.5/384 plan (but paying for 3.0/786) for over 2.5 years without any problems smooth and steady speed all day every day. Now, like a switch problems everyday after 5PM.  I was getting to the thought that my problem was overloaded/congested router(s) at the CO when I read this thread.

I have another ticket opened and am working with the people on DSLR (DSLReports.com) in hopes to get this fixed. First thing I’m asking for is to be put on another router at the CO.  I’ll post more tomorrow... I’m having trouble with my connection right now!!

0 Likes
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3

dadein, keep at it! Try calling that Canada number if need be. If I hadn't called that number I would probably still be having problems. Verizon called me this morning to check up and see how things were going. I told her that everything was fine now. She even told me that if I have any more trouble be sure to call in again. So keep at it, it's not right to have that slowdown. Good luck.

HS345, the optimizer tool can be found on this support page.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/General+Support/Top+Questions/Top+Questions.htm 

The link to it is on the right hand side about halfway down, under "system tools". If you are using Vista though, you might not need the optimizer.

Message Edited by norcris on 01-12-2009 04:53 PM
HS345
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, so much for the technician's little "optimizing" tricks. At about 6:00pm my speed dropped like a rock. Currently at 561/360. What's odd is, the upload speed seems unaffected, or at least it seems odd to me. I don't know if that's normal.

I guess I'll try that Canada number as well.

Thanks for the link norcris. Do you use that tool? Does it really help? I'm running XP.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@HS345 wrote:

That's good to know, thanks Provider 7.

How would you account for the varying speeds at different times of day, and on the user account the technician didn't adjust? Not trying to be argumentative, I just want to know. 🙂

Also, I read in the tech support section of Verizon something about an optimization tool, but there was no indication of where to aquire this tool. Do you know anything about it?

The first I"ve heard of the slow rates was on this forum.  Before that I havn't heard of it.  But keep in mind, i've been on FioS for the last 3 months.
 As for optimization...I usually use DrTCP found on Dslreports.com. It works for most  for most systems that are windows based before Vista came about.  The other thing I do is locate programs that might slow my system down on start up.

Here's how to do it....
Select start
go to run
type msconfig
select the start up tab.  
all those boxes that are checked are programs running in the background. 
I usually disable everything but the antivirus protection.

0 Likes
HS345
Enthusiast - Level 2

Provider7,

Just for kicks, I tried disabling all startup items, except av. No effect on DSL speed.

Thanks for the tip on DrTCP. 🙂

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Follow through with the number from Canada then...stay on top of it.
0 Likes