Re: Weeks of massive slowdowns on DSL
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

Friday I got home an there was a message from verizon saying that my DSL was fixed. Of course it was not.

So I called the 1800 number again and this time I was told to watch a movie on youtube and then the technician had me do a trace to see what Verizon server I was going through and opened a new ticket.

The ticket is still open so I will wait to see how they resolve this before calling Canada.

But I suspect that since I am up to the same number of steps as Nocris now, I too will be fixed.

I woke up Saturday with an epiphany. My second phone call many days ago was almost the same as my last phone call except it was disconnected before being finished and I was not called back even though the technician had both my home number and my cell phone number.

When I called back to get to that technician there wasn't even a trouble ticket opened.

the reason I mention this is after talking to various people and reading forums. They all follow the same exact pattern.

That second technician jumped ahead of the steps and either realized that or a supervisor did and killed the phone call.

My point is even that even Nocris with Canada involvement he still followed the same steps most people did and took the same amount of time.

He would of found out that by continuing to call the 800 number the same thing I did after a number of phone calls your technicians seem to get better 

You call and call and each time you make a small step forward eventually you get to the same point and Verizon admits its their router and fixes the problem.

So my advice is to all who have the same problem don't get upset or frustrated it will happen it just takes a certain number of calls.

Call each day after they close your existing trouble ticket.

Call only while you are having your problem.

Be polite but firm about your problem. If you want to avoid the windows questions after going through the all steps a few times just chose other for OS to avoid the usual its windows questions.

You will eventually get fixed you just have to go through all the steps before you get to its our end and it gets fixed.

So hopefully I will have working internet tomorrow.

Kgrach

0 Likes
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3

HS345, I tried the optimizer with my old PC which ran on XP. And yes, it did help a little bit but it didn't solve the problem. Soon after my trouble began, the motherboard on that PC died. All my friends said maybe the motherboard was causing my problems lol. But when I got a new PC with Vista, the problem remained. One of the technicians I called had me try to use the optimizer on my new PC but it came up saying it wasn't needed since I was using Vista.

0 Likes
HS345
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello norcris, Thanks.

I tried the link you posted, and still couldn't find the danged optimizer. 

Would you mind linking directly to the page it is on ? Thanks in advance. 🙂

0 Likes
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3
Sure 🙂 Here it is: http://www2.verizon.net/help/dsl_settings/   I'm not sure if that will link you to it or not though since I get a message saying my PC doesn't need it.
0 Likes
HS345
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks norcris!

I tried clicking on the link in Firefox, and it is only for Internet Explorer. Smiley Very Happy hehe

I'll try optimizing ie, though I only use it for Microsoft updates.

Thanks again. 

0 Likes
Turk85

I have now started experiencing the massive slowdown problem in zip 46504. Since January 14th, I am lucky to get Kbps on download speed. It does seem better in the morning and after midnight. Otherwise, nothing with streaming will run without stuttering - no youtube or netflix. I've called tech support 4 times now with nothing but frustration. The last tech finally took over my computer and realized there was a problem on their end. I connect fine to the switching office, the problem is beyond that. They told me to wait until Monday 1/19/09 and see if it improves. I'll give them 5 more days beyond that than I'm switching back to cable(at least Mediacom has U.S. tech support and they're not afraid to send a tech ASAP - GET OFF YOUR **bleep** VERIZON - {please keep it relevant}  I'll try calling the Canadian number on Monday if things don't improve.

Message Edited by KaLin on 01-18-2009 05:34 PM
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I spoke to an MCO tech yesterday and asked him about the slowdowns your getting in the evenings.  Basically he told me that our routers support roughly 6000 customers.  If everyone gets online at the same time you will recieve those slowdowns.  When he recieves a cronic complaint, he will generally transfer them to a different router that isn't as full. 

Unfortunately for you guys, you will still have to go through all the gruelling steps to get there.  There are no shortcuts.

Turk85
Still major problem here, 46504. Upload speed is roughly double my download speed. Sometimes they are equal @ around 768kbps. Only one server within 60 miles of me gets over 1.5Mbps and that's only briefly. I'm paying for 3Mbps. Also, don't trust download speeds from a Fastsoft server. They are using a nonstandard "fast" tcp system. Tech support tells you everything is OK if you get one good speedtest. That's great if you are only using that server. I don't understand why I have to work so hard to get the service I've already paid for. Sorry for the language in my last post...
0 Likes
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon Closed my trouble ticket today 

Still No joy I am now frustrated.

Called the canadians and the tech said on my last trouble ticket the Technician suggested lowering my speed. Nice how bout a message on my machine.

I don't see how lowering my speed will help except lower my bill and verizons responsibility.

I can see the phone call now you ain't paying for premium speed so we don't have to provide it.

They did do something as now my pings are meassured in tens of ms instead of seconds so latency is improved but speed still sucks.

Funny up till now all of the technicians said my line was clean now all of a sudden I am told today my line is noisy and it can't support high speed like it has for the last decade.

Tried to talk me into FIOS.

I had high speed until FIOS was brought into my niehborhood.

So I won't do FIOS until my DSL is fixed otherwise I will look for another service.

Kgrach

0 Likes
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update.

The more I thought about it the more it bothered me so I called back the Canadians and complained about how I don't think asking Verizon to lower my speeds will help.

With Flascomm before they went under, I got over 6000 KBPS measured speed unheard of then. Most sites then would only feed you a Max of 128 Kbps so it was mostly wasted speed.

Still my lines were capable back then. I also don't think it is a noisy line because things tonight went back to high speed at 11:30ish.

But the tech corrected the other tech who told me to call billing to get my speed halved.

He opened another trouble ticket and said my speed should be halved by tomorrow and my internet would then get better.

I will see.

{please keep it relevant} 

Still I wonder about how they slashed my ping times to fractions of what they were before the tech checked my line.

since the trouble is my "defective" phone lines how did my ping speeds all of a sudden improve dramatically. 

Also I don't like being lied to. My modem detects little or no line noise 3 Db and I had no dropped cells or CRC errors and very little FEC errors during my web outages.

My modem power and attenuation were all in normal ranges, while the tech was busy explaining to me that my modem was working really hard just to maintain speed.

hello I can read my old fashion simple modem.

Best news is even if this fixes my problem, my speed gets halved while Verizon maintains my same rate of billing yea!!

Kgrach

Message Edited by KaLin on 01-20-2009 07:45 AM
0 Likes