Re: Weeks of massive slowdowns on DSL
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Kgrach,

You have Fios available?  Why are you wasting with Dsl?  Just imagine...By switching to FIos your getting fiber optics directly to your house with out any loss.  Not to mention, you now eliminate all that copper your lines are currently being fed by.  I have to tell you from experience, Fios is a great service.

0 Likes
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3
Kgrach, sorry to hear that you are still having trouble 😞 Have you mentioned to any of the techs that there was another person in your area with the same problem and that their problem was solved when Verizon switched them to a different router? If not, you should. On one of my last calls to them I mentioned that someone else was having the exact same problem in my area and a few days later they switched me to a different router. Problem was solved immediately. Although we are probably set up for different speeds from the sound of it. But maybe it would help. Good luck.
0 Likes
vince
I've had this issue for months. Over time, the connection will continually deteriorate until it gets to 54k download. i reboot and it's fine again. i just requested a replacement. let's see if that fixes the problem.
0 Likes
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

Still sloww internet this evening I now have to call the business office during bussiness hours and request to have my speed cut to 1.5 Mbps.

I don't see how that helps as I can't get 128KBPS during the evenings but I will try it.

To "provider7" I was planning on switching to FIOS later this year. After this fiasco I really don't care too much for Verizon.

The only reason I would stay and go fios is to keep my current Email address.

This problem and the lack of care is .........

The tech tonight also mentioned something I didn't think of wifi activity in my neighborhood might be the culprit.

I have some equipment at the office I will bring home tommorrow that will check my actual line conditions and tell me about each and every break in my cable and how far the are from me.

Plus it has a High voltage pulse setting to blow stuff off the line.

If I detect noise on the line I will do an RF survey and see which signals are present and see if any go away when my Internet comes back in the late night early morning.

If it is not fixed tommorrow I will take care of things myself.

Kgrach

0 Likes
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3
Vince, it sounds like you are experiencing something different. I was always trying the reboot trick but it never helped at all. Every time I called support the techs would ask " did you try rebooting?" It got to the point where I would laugh every time they asked that. I had tried turning off the modem, turning off the router, rebooting the pc, connecting from modem to pc, everything. I hope your replacement (modem?) does the trick for you. Good luck.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@kgrach wrote:

The tech tonight also mentioned something I didn't think of wifi activity in my neighborhood might be the culprit.

Plus it has a High voltage pulse setting to blow stuff off the line.

Check the Wi-fi thing and get back to us.  Also, is your trouble only with wi-fi?  or does it happen when plugged directly in the router/modem?

Your unit sounds similiar to out breakdown units that kick out 600v to isolate troubles.  I wouldn't reccommend using it on our line, it could damage circuit cards in the office...

I sent you a private message...read it when you get a chance.

Walt

kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am currently plugged directly into the modem.

As I can't get the modem technical readings while going through a router.

The gist of what the tech was suggesting was RF noise was bleeding onto my Phone line and causing noise.

It is not uncommon for HAM radio guys to put RF filters their phone lines and also be polite and install them on their neighbors phone lines too.

It is possible that my neighbor got a new laptop or a bridge that is just a dirty mess and feeding into my phone lines that run just six feet from her house.

So I will snarf her traffic tonight and see if my problem goes away when her traffic dies down.

I called the 1800 business office from work today and got a hard sell on FIOS and the person said there was no way to degrade my setup to 1.5 from 3 as the computer does not support that.

I then called the 631 number and while staying in the normal speaking range let them know I was unhappy.

I was transferred to a technician who then patched me to a slightly confused billing lady who helped me. During the entire time she was stressing that my bill would not be lowered only my download speed. She said it several times and then tried to sell me an anti virus security package.

I will let you know how it works out when they lower my line speed.

I might just punt and go FIOS as the local 631 office promised to get me a technician in my house by the following weekend If I ordered today.

My business partner has FIOS at home and loves it the only problem he has is the bill for the last two years has been all over  the place never the same bill twice. He gets discounts that come and go and has never got an answer what he is or not entitled to. He once got a 16 cent bill for internet,TV,Phone and Cellular and then complained to Verizon saying it was about 150 dollars too cheap and while they applauded his honesty they had no answer for him other than saying that was his bill and to pay it. That was fun because he couldn't, as online payments have to be at least one dollar and you can't pay more than six times what is due. So he paid it the next month.

Kgrach

0 Likes
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vince

yea the reboot trick never once fixed my problem or as far as I know did a thing.  So it is a different issue

You might be able to fix your problem by simply changing your router to drop your connection after a certain number of hours and then "dial" on damand.

My router was programed that way I saw no reason to hold an IP address while I was at work and not using the computer.

this way your connection gets dropped and reconnected each day.

Or as silly as it sound, simply connect your modem to your light switch this way each time you turn on the lights it resets your modem.

kgrach

0 Likes
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got home today and was greeted with a message on my answering machine that my problem was taken care of an email saying it was fixed and my trouble ticket read DSL relaunch.

Guess what stutter stutter pop my new slower DSL purrs along like an asthmatic kitten with a heart murmur.

So not only did they sucker me into lowering my speed as predicted nothing was fixed.

The lady tried to insinuate it was my computer.

I am using right now a two day old VIsta machine Dual core 3.4 Ghz, ATI Radeon 4850, SB titanium Sound card, Gigabit Ethernet connected straight to the modem.

less than 2% of the CPU utilized while watching a video stutter off of MSNBC .

NO anti spyware or Anti Virus software running or installed in the case of the anti Virus

Then she said it was my old modem with a Vista machine.

One weak wi-fi router detected in my near vicinity and no users.

As predicted spent another evening on the phone with Verizon tech support.

I am going to Circuit City in the morning to buy a brand new verizon Modem to shut them up.

If my modem is bad why does it work at all other times of the day!

hmm I should bill verizon for my time 136 hours times $85 dollars. time to file court papers and talk to the PSC

Kgrach

0 Likes
kgrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

Continuing blog on my verizon DSL journey.

They sent a pair of tech's to my home this morning.

They wanted to do a ping from my modem and I left for work after showing them my telephone terminal box.

They later called my Cell phone to tell me they found nothing wrong with my line and installed another master filter on my extension with the modem.

The field technicians were top notch and a really great pair.

I don't know if anything will change when I get home tonight.

Kgrach 
0 Likes