Westell 327W Keeps Dropping WiFi Conections
Daveca99

I have a Westell VersaLink 327W gateway. It drops it's WiFi connections fairly often. I've done some research on the internet and it seems to be a problem with this gateway.

1) Is there a fix for this for the 327?

2) Will Verizon replace it for something more reliable if there isn't a fix?

3) Is there something more reliable? 

4) Should I just go to a different Internet provider?

Thanks,

Dave

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Westell 327W Keeps Dropping WiFi Conections
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Do you have any cell OR cordless phones around your house?
0 Likes
Daveca99

Yes, I do have both cell phones and cordless phones at home. I've seen some discussion about this. I'm considering changing the WiFi frequency to different settings to see if that has any effect. I'm also considering changing to cordless phones that are supposed to co-exist with WiFi.

But I've never been able to tie the use of cell phone or cordless phone to when I drop the WiFi. The events don't seem to correlate. If anything, the dropping of the WiFi seems to correlate when I shutdown or startup my computer.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
I have other ideas.

#`1 Check the power management settings for your computer.

Please note these directions, assume that you are on Windows XP. If you are not on Windows XP, please post and someone will help you.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Power Options.

Check what power scheme you are on. I have mine to, always on.

Never: Turn off monitor, Hard disk, System hiberates.

#2 Check the power management settings for your NIC.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System.

Click on the hardware tab and go to the Device Manager.

In Device Manager go to Network Adapters, find your NIC card, and select properties.

In the properties for the NIC, go to power management.

Make sure that there is no check mark for:

a) Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

b) Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby.
0 Likes
onlinejen

SERIOUSLY?!  Of course. 

I have always had these and this seems to make no difference - the frequencies, the brands, etc.  Humbug.

The user's manual given at installation references websites that no longer function at Westell and Westell's site washes its' hands of us.  Any ideas how to reset our "user name" and "password" from our original installation???  mine is non-existent in their system at this point (yes - I really did keep a print out and put it in a file... feel like a chump...)

I just want to be able to use my laptop in the bedroom again.  800 ft2 should NOT need a signal boost

0 Likes
Mrdy
I use to have the same problem.  I resolved this by replacing the antenna for about $5.
0 Likes
dyeabolical
Where can you get a replacement antenna?  I too have this issue...
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
In your post you said you are trying to do wireless at a distance of 800 ft. That is a very large distance for the wireless signal to travel. I would try to keep the signal within 120 ft or less.
0 Likes
Mrdy
I got the replacement antenna from Newegg, but I don't see it anymore.  You can try amazon.
0 Likes