Westell 327W and Linksys WRE54G
pikov
Enthusiast - Level 2

I read the excellent tutorial at http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/SetUp/QuestionsOne/123766.htm which answers all questions except one:

After I have set the Protocol to Bridge and the Bridge Mode to Routed Bridge, I'm presented with a DHCP Client section with static address preselected. However, the address given is 0.0.0.0, subnet 255.255.255.255 and gateway 0.0.0.0. Is it safe to leave it like that?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 327W and Linksys WRE54G
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try switching the Westell over to use WPA encryption and see if the Linksys will work correctly when it is set up manually through the web interface. I did some Googling around and it seems this is a common problem for people using Repeaters.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon's info on how to use your own router is wrong.

Please see the info at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

If you have questions, please ask.

When you asking, besure to tell if your Westell is using the White and Blue or the Red and Black Firmare.

0 Likes
pikov
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for that link!

As I understand it, when I put the 327W into bridge mode, will the Ethernet ports be disabled or can I continue to use them for my wife's desktop and my printer.

My initial goal was to set up a Linksys WRE54G v3 as a repeater, but I do not want a wireless-only home LAN. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should actually leave your 327w out of bridge mode, since your Linksys WRE54G is not a router. It's only purpose is to take a Wireless Signal and repeat it further out, or to run as an access point. If you bridge your 327w, the first device that requests DHCP information from the Westell or uses PPPoE to connect will be the only PC able to access the Internet, typically. If Verizon is using DHCP in your area, the Westell I don't believe is fully bridged. It still works as a router but holds the public IP.

pikov
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey, Smith6612! Long time, no see!

So do I have to change anything at all in the 327W configuration?

Verizon is indeed using DHCP in my area.

Thanks.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Other than the Wireless settings, you shouldn't need to change anything on the 327w. The only settings you should need to change would be on the Linksys.

pikov
Enthusiast - Level 2

1. What wireless settings should I change so that the Westell interacts properly with the Linksys?

2. A WRE54G how-to site says "with a little effort, you can get it to function with any 802.11b or g product that supports WDS-based bridging and/or repeating." Someone told me that the 327W doesn't support WDS-based bridging! Am I out-of-luck here?

Thanks,

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The WRE54G should still continue to work since it performs WDS in itself. As long as it connects using WDS in Client mode, it should be able to associate with the Westell without any problem. As far as wireless settings go, unless the repeater requires the Westell and the Repeater to operate on the same wireless channel, setting the Repeater and the Westell to different channels (such as 1 and 6) will help keep noise down.

0 Likes
pikov
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK.

Westell setup dies not change.

Linksys should use different channel than the Westell.

Should it also have a different SSID?

How can I tell if the Linksys is associating with the Westell?

Thanks.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the Linksys can use a different channel, that would be ideal. SSID has to be the same though. If it has to use the same channel, that should not be too much of a problem. But otherwise, that is how it goes. You'll know if the Linksys is working by your PCs connecting to it and being able to communicate with the rest of the network and the Internet.

So from this point, just set it up and see how it goes.

0 Likes