Westell 327W outside Verizon DSL
gharv

Hi,

I was a verizon customer until a few days ago,but I moved to a new apartment where I have access to the internet through my university network. The net is up in my apartment, if I connect my computer directly to the jacks I have full access, but my old Westell 327W doesn't connect. Is the modem/router locked to Verizon? Is there a way to use it to connect to other networks?

many thanks,

geof

0 Likes
Re: Westell 327W outside Verizon DSL
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Let us do this one step at a time.

#1 This Westell 327W, has several Jacks (connections) to it.

a) Power.

b) RJ-11 (more typically called a phone jack/connection).

c) RJ-45 (more typically called a network jack/connection). This device may have one or more than one, which is perfectly fine.

#2 Make sure that connected the RJ-11 of the Westell 327W to a RJ-11 Jack in the wall.

If you are sure that you connected a RJ-11 jack of the Westell 327W to the RJ-11 Jack in the wall, please post.

Please note: If you connected the RJ-11 of the Westell 327W to a RJ-45 (in the Wall), major *opps*. That is not allowed. -

#3 To connect LAN (RJ-45) to LAN (RJ-45) you must know what the DHCP range is of the first router. And as need be, you may need to change the DHCP range of the first router.

For details, I point to:

URL: http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1133918703

Title: portforward.com -> forum -› Knowledge Base -› Using a Second router as a Switch/Hub/WAP

#4 Now since, this is university network and if you want to connect LAN to LAN - You must contact the admin of that university network.

Please note: You may find out what you are trying to do, is not allowed.
gharv

thanks, I've moved forward, but still no luck. I am ashamed to confess I was doing the major oooops, connecting the router RJ-11 to a RJ-45 jack on my apartment. So I connected the apartment's RJ-45 to the ethernet 1 port on the router, which is also a "uplink" port.

(a parenthesis: each "network device" connected to the internet must be allowed, which is done when I first try to access the internet. Automatically, my web browser is redirected to a login page and after I log in for the first time with a particular device, that device mac address is registered and there is no need to log in any more. According to university computer services instructions, routers should be registered the same way.)

After connecting the router to the appropriate jack, turning off and then on all devices, I get about five minutes of wireless connection, an then it drops. If I connect my computer to the router using a wired ethernet connection, then all works fine. Looking at my connection properties, I see that the ethernet uses a university assigned ip (both if I connect directly the computer or through the wired router connection) but the wireless connection is 192.168.1.X. During the five minutes wireless works, the ip is the university assigned one.

I think this could be solved by changing the router settings and doing the port forwarding stuff, however, when I try to access its configuration page (192.168.1.1) I get a message saying I should connect the router to a DSL (and it probably wants a Verizon one), and clicking in any menu just bring this same message. So I cannot move forward, unless there is a way of configuring the router without connecting to DSL.

thanks

P.S.: westell website has a " How do I make this modem work with cable Internet? VersaPort" link, but the PowerPoint (!?, why a ppt???) file is broken.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
If you really wanted to use a router..

#1 Go out and get a router with a RJ-45 WAN/Internet port.

#2 Connect the RJ-45 WAN/Internet port of the router to the RJ-45 jack/connection in the wall.

#3 As need be:

a) Change the LAN IP of the router so that the first three octets of it, are not the same as the WAN/Internet IP in the router.

For example if you had the WRT54G, the WAN IP is at Status -> Router.

It looks like the screen you see at http://ui.linksys.com/files/WRT54G/v8/8.00.0/StaRouter.htm

The LAN IP is at Setup -> Basic Setup where it clearly says Local IP Address.

and an example of the first three octets. If an IP is 192.168.1.254, the first first three are 192.168.1

b) Spoof/clone the WAN MAC Address. For example if you had the WRT54G, go to Setup -> MAC Address Clone .
Message Edited by dslr595148 on 06-12-2009 11:53 AM
0 Likes