Westell 327w Bridge Mode Disconnects Internet

I want to connect a wireless router to my westell 327w. Verizon says that I must change the 327w to bridge mode and provides instrictions here. http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_contentDisplay&objId=44141

But my firmware is different so the menu appears differently. So I followed the instructions for the 2200 model.

http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_contentDisplay&objId=44141

I changed the Protocol to Bridge and Mode to Bridge. The modem resets and the internet light on the 327w turns off. I change DHCP Server to Off and disable Private LAN DHCP Server. I connected the wireless router and set it up but I cannot access the internet.

The only way I can access the internet again is by resetting the 327w.

Is there anything else I can do? Does the 327w have to be in bridge mode for me to connect a wireless router?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Westell 327w Bridge Mode Disconnects Internet
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Without any changes made your modem supplies your Verizon login name and user name to our server so you can gain internet access.  Once you place the modem in Bridge mode, it allows the broadband connection to pass through to your router. 

You now need to go into your wireless routers settings and first set the connection to pppoe.  Next you have to enter in your Verizon user name and password...while your in the wireless router settings, it would be wise to change it's default ip setting.   I made my router 192.168.3.1

Re: Westell 7500 Bridge Mode
Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

On the Westell I also changed the Protocol to Bridge and Mode to Bridge. The modem resets and the internet light on the 7500 turns off. I also change DHCP Server to Off and disable Private LAN DHCP Server (the first one. When I connected the ethernet router to one of the 4 ports on the 7500 I cannot access the internet.

At this point I can see the Netgear ethernet router's setup screen, but can no longer access the setup screen of the Westell 7500 (192.168.1.1) - not sure what I'm doing wrong.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
You have to assign your Netgear it's own ip address.  You should find it in the Netgears menu's somewhere.  By doing this you can directly access both modem and router with their respective ip addresses
Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I can leave the Westell 7500 on 192.168.1.1 and when I access the Netgear I can assign it 192.168.2.1?

The only thing that confuses me is that when the Westell 7500 is first accessed to change the settings, it is directly connected to my PC's ethernet port. Then in order for the router to work I attach its internet port to an open ethernet port on the 7500. I now connect my PC's ethernet port to one of hte router's open ethernet port. The 7500 is no longer being accessed at this point so that its setup screen appears on my display.

The router's screen allows me to select PPPoE and asks for user name and password, from Verizon, which I enter and then it trys to establish a connect, which fails. So are you saying that before I do that, I should change the Netgear router's IP address to 192.168.2.1. and then enter the user name & password?

I imagine both devices can't have the same IP 192.168.1.1 and maybe that's why my connection is failing.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Skier7667 wrote:

So I can leave the Westell 7500 on 192.168.1.1 and when I access the Netgear I can assign it 192.168.2.1?

The only thing that confuses me is that when the Westell 7500 is first accessed to change the settings, it is directly connected to my PC's ethernet port. Then in order for the router to work I attach its internet port to an open ethernet port on the 7500. I now connect my PC's ethernet port to one of hte router's open ethernet port. The 7500 is no longer being accessed at this point so that its setup screen appears on my display.

The router's screen allows me to select PPPoE and asks for user name and password, from Verizon, which I enter and then it trys to establish a connect, which fails. So are you saying that before I do that, I should change the Netgear router's IP address to 192.168.2.1. and then enter the user name & password?

I imagine both devices can't have the same IP 192.168.1.1 and maybe that's why my connection is failing.

Yes, leave the westell at 192.168.1.1...after the bridge mode had been set take the ethernet cord out of the modem and plug it into the WAN port of the Netgear, then plug your computer into any of the lan ports.

Now access the Netgear's menu, set it to PPPoe, enter in your user name and password...also set the ip address to 192.168.2.1 and save the information.  You may need to reboot your computer to attain a new ip address for your computer.

You now have 192.168.1.1 for accessing your modem and 192.168.2.1 for accessing your router from your web browser

Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

I got to thinking about something the first poster mentioned.  Sometimes when adding a new router...you made your settings and it's not working....

You have to power down the router and the modem...First fire up the modem...let it sync up.  Then turn on the router.

Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually the instructions for the CD walk-thru for the Netgear tell you to power down the modem & router. Then power-up in sequence, starting from wall out in logical order. Of course PC needs to be up to see what the setup instructions say. I guess it would be a good idea to power off the PC also, then bring it up with the CD for setup of the Netgear router.

I hope tonight I'm successful!

0 Likes
Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was successful in getting the Netgear router to establish an internet connection with the Westell 7500 bridged so it functions only as a DSL modem. I switched the IP address on the Netgear router to 192.168.2.1 and left the Westell 7500 at 192.168.1.1

I can access the Netgear's setup screen fine by going to 192.168.2.1, but when I type 192.168.1.1, I can't seem to get to the Westell 7500 setup screen. Do I need to change something else?

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
You shouldn't have to do anything else, but if it's working through the Netgear, I wouldn't sweat it...Just enjoy our router.