Re: Westell 7500 Bridge Mode
Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK I'll trust I won't have need to get into the Westell if I can access the internet. Now is the Westell's Wireless capability off now since it's bridged?

Is there a way to take advantage of the Westell's wireless capability in this current setup?

Will any wireless router work with the DSL modem (Westell 7500) like this, or are there specific ones that will function? This particular Netgear router stated on the box Cable/DSL ethernet router, hence the reason I picked it up.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

ok...I'll bite...Why are you replacing a the Westell modem/wireless router with the Netgear wireless router?

If the westell has router and wireless capabilities  Why would you even need the Netgear?

Message Edited by Provider7 on 03-12-2009 12:49 PM
Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great question and I'm going to answer it. I have an Xbox 360 and while streaming many of the videos from Xbox Live, I encounter lag or re-loading. I don't have that problem with watcing a streaming video through my PC whether from for exampel MSN.com or Netflix. They play smoothly through once they start.

On my Xbox 360 I managed to open the proper ports for an open NAT on the Westell, I don't have a problem with online gaming, etc., just the lag when streaming. In fact the lag always happens at the same spot it seems. There are some that play from beginning to end without any lag.

With that in mind, I researched and read that some routers work better than others. Since the 7500 is a gateway, two in one, I figured maybe by using a separate router, I might see an improvement. Also I can't seem to figure out the QoS settings in the Westell 7500. I was also not able to get port tirggering set up after I set up the first port, so I settled for Port Forwarding and took the default that Verizon has set up already in the listed services. It only opens two port, however Xbox lists that 3 ports should be open. If I try to open the 3rd, then I go back to a Moderate NAT. I tried working with Verizon support on the phone and I could tell the rep had no idea how to set up Port Triggeing, so she set the default Service already listed and got an open NAT, however I had done the same and it's not what I wanted to do. However I gave up and decided that I would do it my self even though that is the hard way. I fine that speaking to level one reps is very frustrating. Right now I'm involved with an Xbox issue that they have no clue and it really needs to be escalted to a level 3 person, because even their level 2 rep doen't have a clue either.

Because of this, I decided to try a separate router to test and see if there would be improvement. I got the router to work last night, now I have to set up port forwarding or triggering for the required Xbox Live ports to ensure an open NAT. Then I'll give it a test. Maybe I've just wasted a lot of time, although I have found it an educational experience too. Maybe this would help you understand my questions.

With regard to the Westell it's pretty much plug and go, have to say it installed fool-proof - great job by Verizon. I also read somewhere that UPnP is disabled whether you select enable or disable. Not sure. However, according to MS Xbox by just enabling UPnP, you should be good to go and not have to set up Port Forwarding.

Message Edited by Skier7667 on 03-12-2009 02:16 PM
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

This whole thing with port forwarding is something we don't deal with.  We're an internet provider that happens to give our customers oruters.  So when a uique situation arise such as Xboxes...Our concern is to make sure you have a broadband connection up to our router, anything beyond that is all you....Thank GOd for Forums where we can all learn from each other.

I had read somewhere that there was an issue with some of the wireless antenna's provided by Microsoft has issues.  They forgot to assign them a regional code so some of the techies found resorting to the older version antennas resolved their problems.  We have a ps3 here which can operate wirelessly, but one thing i've learned about wireless is it only takes one hiccup to stop data from transferring, so I ran an ethernet wire to the ps3 from the router to avoid anything like that happening.

Skier7667
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand and agree with what you are saying regarding the “depth” of support Verizon can provide. I work for a firm that develops/writes and sells accounting internet based software. We can support our products under normal conditions that they were designed to run in, but you get customers that want info for example to flow to their Blackberry, when our support assumes you are using IE 7 on a normal PC .We can only guarantee that it will work under normal conditions that it’s intended to be used.

Still, if I try to set up port forwarding/triggering and can’t or encounter a problem, regardless of what I’m trying to access, I should be able to enter the parameters which I have and be able to enter them in the gateway. That’s what I was referring to. The rep I spoke to didn’t really know the Westell 7500 at that level. I’m sure few people call asking for that level of setting up.

Interesting enough though, if you go to the MS site for Xbox, they list Verizon as a preferred ISP carrier and they make it clear that if you have everything in the Xbox setup correctly, then your ISP would have to help you get the connection up. Unfortunately it’s that finger pointing of who is responsible for what and coupled with the level of technical ability of the end-user and many times the provider that creates a concern.

So yes it is so fortunate that forums exist were we can share our knowledge and I’m so lucky to have had you respond to my posts and provide excellent advice in helping me get going.

I was able to get the router working last night – thank you for your help! I set up port triggering and it appears to be fine. I also set up QoS on the Netgear router and although there is still lagging/stuttering in the streaming video display for some Xbox Live videos, I did notice that for Netflix, I was getting 2 bars before and now I’m getting 3 bars providing better video quality – that is an improvement! That is probably related to QoS settings on the Netgear and I wish I knew what the correct QoS settings are for the Westell 7500 (then I can forget about hanging a router off the Westell 7500. I can’t make logical sense out the Westell’s QoS settings, yet on the Netgear they are more “user friendly” as to what does what.

If you can point me to the right direction as to understanding the QoS settings in the 7500’s user’s guide that I’ve gone through several times, please do. The guide itself doesn’t really explain the difference in selecting each distinct parameter. I do like the Westell’s all in one capability, especially since it does have wireless.

I’m beginning to feel that with 1600 Kbps download speed, it’s just not enough for all Xbox video streaming content for whatever the reason (even though it is fine for Netflix streaming). If I can’t get a higher DSL download speed, then I’ll eventually have to upgrade to FIOS and that will/should solve the problem.  

0 Likes