Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Westell 327w and Cisco PIX

harddrive747
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Westell 327w and Cisco PIX

Message 1 of 3
(5,031 Views)

I posted something similar to this in the FIOS category, but I need to ask the same type of question for DSL.

I currently have a site the had a DSL connection using a westell 327w.  It works terrifically.  However, we want to make a change because of other issues.  We want to bring in a Cisco PIX or ASA firewall to the location.  So the set up will be this.

DSL ----> 327w Modem ----> PIX Firewall

I know that will work with setting the modem in bridge mode so that IP address of the Internet will be on the firewall.

Now what I want to do is this.  I want to be able to use the other Ethernet ports on the 327w and the wireless so that they are behind the Cisco firewall.  Physically it would look like a loop, but logically it wouldn't because of VLAN's.

I tested a few things on a 327w that I have because I shutdown DSL in favor of FIOS.  I can set up the VLAN's on the WAN port and the other three Ethernet ports and am able to ping everything.  However, I am unable to manage the 327w because the IP address isn't in the VLAN that I need it.  Apparently the IP address of the switch stays in VLAN 1 and I don't see anyway of setting the IP address of the private or public to a specific VLAN.  I may be missing something.  I was using Verizon's interface on the 327w.

So can I bridge the DSL port to Ethernet port 1 on VLAN 2 and then keep the other ports in VLAN 1 so that I still have management capability behind the firewall?

If so, I would like to know the steps to make this happen or would it be easier to buy a single port DSL modem and have it pass through and then use the 327w as a switch/wireless access point.

Thanks for letting me know.

2 REPLIES 2
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Westell 327w and Cisco PIX

Message 2 of 3
(4,971 Views)

Perhaps this modem combo uses the red and black fimware that the Westell 6100 uses.

In that case, follow: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Lynfidel
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Westell 327w and Cisco PIX

Message 3 of 3
(4,888 Views)

You should be able to solve this using a static routing table entry on the PIX machine for the managed devices on VLAN1.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.