Westell 6100 - Lost Ethernet
jmickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

I have a Verizon DSL using the Westell 6100 modem.  I have been using the ethernet connection for quite awhile until today when I went to update my laptop (which doesn't have Ethernet).  I plugged the USB connection into my laptop and it appears that my desktop (which I always use with Ethernet) got disconnected and it is as though it is not live anymore.

I typically unplug the Ethernet to use the USB in my laptop and I'm not sure what happened but now I can no longer use the Ethernet connection on my desktop (I only use my laptop once in a blue moon), but I can use my USB Connection.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,

Jackie

0 Likes
Re: Westell 6100 - Lost Ethernet
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
While I have not experienced that before, I would suggest that you use either USB or ethernet.

I have a feeling that you can not use both.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
I"m sure you can't use both at the same time, but he should be able to ues either one at a time.  On the desktop, have you tried to right click on the network icon (lower right hand side) and select repair?
0 Likes
jmickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to clarify, I was not using them at the same time...I have to use the USB connection on my laptop and the Ethernet on my desktop.  I disconnected my ethernet to connect my USB to the laptop and vise versa.  When I tried to reconnect my ethernet after disconnecting my USB I found I no longer have the capability of using the Ethernet.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

From the desktop withthe ethernet plugged in...open internet explorer.  Type in the address bar 192.168.1.1  and hit enter.    If a login popup comes on the screen type....    admin  ...for the login and the word...   password   .....for the password.  If you can access this then it tells us your computer sees the router.

Let me know what happens.   if you can see the router click start>run   a dos screen will open up...type..... ping yahoo.com

If you get a few responses it tells us your computer is seeing the internet which could lead to issues with internet explorer.,

0 Likes
jmickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can get to 192.168.1.1 with my USB connection but there is absolutely no connection to even try to ping or get to 192.168.1.1 using the Ethernet.  I am setting up my laptop (redoing it) to get my ethernet fixed so that I can test whether it is the modem or my desktop PC.

Thanks for the info!!  Much appreciated!!

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@jmickey wrote:

I can get to 192.168.1.1 with my USB connection but there is absolutely no connection to even try to ping or get to 192.168.1.1 using the Ethernet.  I am setting up my laptop (redoing it) to get my ethernet fixed so that I can test whether it is the modem or my desktop PC.

This last post tells me volumes.  I believe the cord you recieved from verizon is one of those combo cords?  Ethernet  at one end, and at the other it has Usb and ethernet?  From your description this tells me something has happened to your computer's ethernet port.  We need to check to see if it's been disabled.

I'm assuming your system is windows xp? 

go to:  control panel> system> Hardware> Device Manager.  Down the list should be a green icon that says network adapters.  If you see a red X through one, right click on that adapter and hit "Enable"  If it has a yellow ! next to it then it may have problems with it's driver.  If that is the case, you will need to re-install the driver.

0 Likes
jmickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you!

I checked my hardware devices and the network adapter did not have an X through it nor does it have a yellow ! next to it.  However, I did determine that my laptop will connect using the Ethernet, so that eliminated the determination of "is it my modem".  It does appear to be related to my desktop PC as to why I cannot connect using Ethernet any longer, but can connect using USB.

Thanks for your help!

Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
one thing you could try is to re-install the ethernet driver.  One way you can do it is by deleting it from the device manager- rebooting the computer and let the computer do it for you.  Good luck!
0 Likes