Westell 6100G Modem -- Explain operation of binking lights??
David_3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am hoping some knowledgable person can help me to understand the operation of my Westell 6100G modem.  This modem have three lights:  Internet, data, DSL.  Verizon does not have (I asked more than once) a document that explains the meaning of the 3 lights.  I am specifically interested in interpreting the meaning of blinking lights.  For example:

What does it mean when the Internet light blinks once or twice.?

What does it mean when the Internet light blinks continuously for over a minute?

What does it mean when the DSL light blinks once or twice.?

What does it mean when the DSL light blinks continuously for over a minute?

On some days, I lose internet connectivity 2 or 3 times in one hour.  I notice at those times that the DSL light starts to blink continuously, then I no longer can connect to the internet.  Why would cause this to happen?

By the way, here are typical transceiver statistics from my modem in case this is needed.

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)    1184      447
Margin (dB)                              33.6     28.9
Line Attenuation (dB)              33.4    14.5
Transmit Power (dBm)              5.6    12.0

Thank you.

David

0 Likes
Re: Westell 6100G Modem -- Explain operation of binking lights??
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The only light that matters to you is the DSL light. It needs to be steady green.  All telephones, fax machines, computer modems, credit card machines and alarm systems need to have a micro-filter installed on them or you will lose your connection. In other words everything gets a filter except for the DSL modem. It only needs a filter if it is connected to the phone line.
hafcanadian
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Internet lamp blinks as data is moved through the modem, going or coming in.  Brief blinks may be only minimal updates to your computer programs, such as Windows or a security program.  Since sending speed is slower, it may take several minutes to transmit a large file, so the lamp may blink that long.  My Westell 6100 has no "Data" lamp, but does have USB and Ethernet lamps;  the USB isn't used since the Ethernet is, so the USB lamp is out and the Ethernet lamp continuously blinks to indicate an active data connection between the computer and the modem.

As the other poster said, the DSL lamp should not blink, so if yours does, than you need to fix your filter configurations as he recommended.  This is the most common error made by people hooking up DSL in their home.  You can get extra filters from Verizon or (Radio) Shack if you need them.

0 Likes
hafcanadian
Enthusiast - Level 1
By the way, don't put a filter between the modem and the wall jack;  you don't want to filter out data.Smiley Wink
0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3
Be sure to use the cord that came with the modem from the wall jack to the modem. Almost all other cords are flat thin stranded wire which kill the DSL signal. If you have an alarm system, even if it is not used, write back and me or someone will explain how to rewire it.
0 Likes