Westell 7500 keeps dropping Internet connection
Dustoff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted about this before, sorry I didn't get back but I THINK I figured out how to post the log:

http://pastebin.com/YhfJzyq3

If that works, can someone tell me WHY I lose my connection almost every hour? I've checked the physical connections - they're fine; I just spent 34 minutes on the phone with a tech rep and even though rebooting got me restored ( for now), they had no annswers, only that someone would call me back in 24 to 48 hours. This has been happening on a regular basis since I installed DSL on February 11th.

If anyone can help get to the bottom of this, I'll be eternally grateful.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 7500 keeps dropping Internet connection
Dustoff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe the problem is solved. I got a call from Verizon saying a repair tech would visit my home. I thought, "Yes, and the check's in the mail", but he actually was here on Tuesday and found that there was a wiring problem in my NID -- some old unused connection that was improperly attached. He was here for almost 2 hours, and now I have a dedicated outlet for just the modem. There have been no dropouts, and the wireless signal is strong downstairs. He also said that a wire repair tech would be adjusting the pairs at the pole connection along the road to give me a better signal ( I'm slightly rural ).

So........ Everything's working fine, and I don't need to pony up $75.00 for that new Actiontech modem although the tech said it's a good one.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's giving me an Invalid Paste error. Make sure it's correct, or paste up a new copy.

0 Likes
Dustoff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry I didn't reply sooner --- had to actually work. I'll try to get the file posted today. Strangely, the modem hasn't dropped out since I last posted but I'm sure it will soon again.  Also -- I checked out a new Actiontech modem on Amazon. It has very good reviews; does anyone agree that it would be a good replacement for the Westell?

Dustoff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe the problem is solved. I got a call from Verizon saying a repair tech would visit my home. I thought, "Yes, and the check's in the mail", but he actually was here on Tuesday and found that there was a wiring problem in my NID -- some old unused connection that was improperly attached. He was here for almost 2 hours, and now I have a dedicated outlet for just the modem. There have been no dropouts, and the wireless signal is strong downstairs. He also said that a wire repair tech would be adjusting the pairs at the pole connection along the road to give me a better signal ( I'm slightly rural ).

So........ Everything's working fine, and I don't need to pony up $75.00 for that new Actiontech modem although the tech said it's a good one.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem. Glad to hear the problem was found and solved 🙂

ECUnited
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Westell 6100 is doing this as well. We lost phone service the other day, but the tech verified all of the outside wiring as he was fixing that issue.  I also lose download speed progressively during the day. I turn off the modem and turn it back on and things are fine for a while. Any ideas?  I'm thinking about replacing the modem, since the 6100 is pretty dated.....

0 Likes
Dustoff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

When my Verizon tech was here, I asked him about the ActionTech modem I saw on Amazon. They have the GT784WN, a 300mbps Wireless N, and the GT724WGR, a b/g type. Both are in the $80.00 range and he said both are excellent. I have a need for the 4-port ethernet connections, as I have a backup hard drive and a wireless extender on my network.

The reviews say that both are compatible with Verizon and setup is easy. Even though my Westell is now working fine thanks to the great fix, I may invest in the newer model. Check them out on Amazon. Best Buy has one of them too but for no tax and free shipping I'd go with Amazon.