Westell 7500 keeps dropping connection after 2 replacements!
larkinsfam
I'll keep this brief, but I'm in dire need of help.  I signed up for Verizon's dsl service in May, and they sent me the Westell 7500.  I have a dsl-only line with no phone service.  Ever since, my connection has been spotty.  The only problem is connection drops.  The dsl light will stay solid green, and the internet light will turn red. Some days I will have no problems, and others it will drop 4 to 5 times, for 20-30 minutes at a time.I have had to swap out my 7500 modem 2 times, in hopes that I would be receiving a functional one, and to this day nothing has been resolved.  In the 7 times I have called Verizon, 6 of those times the agents helping me went through the standard checklist and were no help at all.  One time however, an agent mentioned I should swap it out for an action tech modem.  Is this true, and has anyone have any better experiences with action tech?  I'm just at a loss for what to do.  I've troubleshooted everything and nothing is working.  Does verizon even make housecalls, or will they just keep sending me the same bad faulty modem?  Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want a reliable internet connection!! 
Message Edited by larkinsfam on 11-06-2008 10:35 AM
Message Edited by larkinsfam on 11-06-2008 10:36 AM
0 Likes
Re: Westell 7500 keeps dropping connection after 2 replacements!
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
It is not the modem it is the line. Do you know how far from the Central Office you are? Do you have a homerun to your modem with a whole house splitter installed?
0 Likes
larkinsfam

I don't know the exact distance, but running tests on speakeasy results in a 2.8/600 connection.  Being that optimal is 3/768, I can't imagine we are too far away from the office.  I called Verizon's tech support at 8:30pm Thursday night, because the internet light was red.  Tech support asked that I power cycle the modem, which after I did resulted in the internet working fine.  The tech support agent said she couldn't do anything because the line test showed nothing wrong.  At 11:34pm that same night, the internet light went red again.  I called tech support, who talked to a level 3, which in turn gave them permission to elevate my problem to the advanced team.  The advandced team said the same thing...it wasn't the modem.  They said they will open a ticket, and someone should be touching base with me, and if it closes, then it's fixed.  I spent an hour and a half on the phone that night, all for them to pass the buck.

Here's what's going to happen.... they will "monitor" the line, report that everything is fine, and close the ticket.  I even gave the guy a quick code proving that at 11:34, the internet was not accessable.  Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Maybe I should be asking how to cancel the service without the termination fee. 

Again, let me reiterate... I've had 3 modems sent to me..... all of which have been the Westell 7500.  Obviously someone at Verizon should be saying to themselves "hmm...this guy might have some bad wiring/bad modems"

What does it take to get your problems fixed at Verizon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message Edited by larkinsfam on 11-07-2008 07:28 AM
0 Likes
larkinsfam

Before I headed off to work, I noticed it happened again (11:15am Friday).  Lasted for five minutes.  I monitored the sequence of events on the modem:

DSL light and Internet light were solid green

Internet light disappears, and dsl light is sold green.

Internet light turns red, dsl light solid green.

Following minutes, internet light is still red, but dsl light blinks exactly once per second.

Next 30 seconds, internet light is still red, but dsl light increases speed, blinking every 1/4 second.

Last two situations occur repeatedly for the following 3 minutes or so.

Internet light and dsl light turn solid green and work again.

The advanced team tech kept asking me last night if the dsl light was blinkning, to which I responded I don't know.  Now I do.  Is that a sign of something?

Again, please someone help with this never ending cycle of frustration that has no end.  Of course, no one probably can fix this anyway, seeing how it's stumping even Verizon's best and brightest minds, so who am I kidding?

Message Edited by larkinsfam on 11-07-2008 09:13 AM
0 Likes
larkinsfam

I'm at work right now, but before I left at 11:30am (Friday), it happened again, same situation as above.  On my way to work I called the tech support, and told them, very frustrated, just to read my file.  He created a new ticket number for some reason, and said they would be monitoring my file.

I feel like I get the same line every time.  I told him I already spoke to an advanced team member, and to just read my file because I had already spent an hour and a half on the flipping phone and didn't feel like repeating myself all over again. 

A connection dropping twice in one hour is just unacceptable.  What does it take to get this problem fixed, or to have a tech guy come out???????????????????  Ugh!

0 Likes
Summerbear5

I've had the same problem and I had to go in to the modem settings and turn off the wireless. It's better much better but not totally fixed. I'm acually on the forums now to see how to fix it permenatly and leave the wireless on because I need it for other computers. My guess is someone is trying to access your network and after so many failed attemps it shuts internet off for everyone untill the modem is reset.

I hope I've help in some way I just basically scanned threw what you said so if I didn't help sorry.

0 Likes
larkinsfam
Actually it is comforting to know someone else is going through this.  I suppose I could try turning off wireless or just the ssid, but I'm fairly certain it's just the wiring of the apartment.  This is just insane.
Message Edited by larkinsfam on 11-07-2008 10:37 AM
0 Likes
Summerbear5
what does turning off the ssid do? I think I tried that and it didn't work but I'm not positive now. I think I had to turn wireless off completely. Yes I'm experiencing the same thing for that's why I know a little bit of what I'm talking about but I'm not a genies about this and looking to still solve this issue myself. If I call version can I get a different modem like not Westell but a different brand? How would I go about doing this? Would they charge me to ship it out and stuff? I only ask you cause you have had 3 sent to you already hehe...
Message Edited by Summerbear5 on 11-07-2008 10:51 AM
0 Likes
larkinsfam

SSID is just the broadcast of the wireless signal.  It's the name you see pop up when you search for a wireless connection.  Apparently it's still hackable without that, but I've heard that might be a possible solution.

Regardless, I think it's probably still the wiring or the modem.  To get a new modem twce, all I did was talk to technical support.  They ran through their standard checklist, "fixed" the problem, I called back the next day, and they sent out the modem.  

I wouldn't advise letting them send you the same modem.  That or insist they send a tech support rep to your premises.  That is what I'm stuck in trying to do right now, and figuring our if it's my wiring, or the modem itself. 

0 Likes
Summerbear5
I turned my wireless back on and the ssid is off already except I changed the name and key just in case someone else in my area had the same modem and possibly the same default name and key. I plugged in my wireless card but my wireless isn't working at all it seems. It's connected then disconnected, connected then disconnected. The wireless keeps loosing connection and I don't know why. It's a new card...I tried turning the ssid on but still same thing. Oy! give me back my cable internet and linksys router anyday!
Message Edited by Summerbear5 on 11-07-2008 11:31 AM
0 Likes