Westell 7500 vs. D-Link 2750B vs. Actiontec GT784WNV Modem+Router+Gateway
manikomio
Enthusiast - Level 1

VZ recently sent me the D-Link 2750B as replacement for the Westell 7500 which I've had for a few years.  I am afraid to replace it because I have not seen many good reviews online about the D-Link.  I also noticed they have the Actiontec GT784WNV available.  For some reason, the rep sent me the D-Link eventhough the Actiontec has a higher price online $44.99 compared to the D-Link $24.99.  Is the Actiontec better quality?  The Westell has been working ok for us, with the exception of dropped internet from time to time.  Having said that, if either the D-Link or Actiontec are superior modems+routers I obviously would be happy to upgrade.  I'm just not sure if that's the case.  Does anyone know the situation with these modems?

I called VZ customer support and one rep said the Westell has a longer life like 5yrs where the D-Link and Actiontec will probably last 2-3 years and he wasn't very convincing in terms of telling me definitely upgrade.  He said it wasn't necessary basically.  I then chatted VZ customer support and the rep said "Yes, I do not recommend you to upgrade your Router+Modem with D-Link."  "Let me share that only Westell Versalink 327W is the compatible router for HSI service.  I would recommend you keep Westell Versalink 327W as it is".  I don't even have the 327W I have the 7500.

So what is the right thing to do for us Verizon High Speed Internet customers?  Upgrade or no upgrade?  If so, which is the best HSI router Verizon offers?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 7500 vs. D-Link 2750B vs. Actiontec GT784WNV Modem+Router+Gateway
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would definitely vouch for the Westell as a modem. It's probably going to be the most stable even though it doesn't support the latest and greatest tech. If it's doing you well, keep it. I still use a 10+ year old Westell 6100 here, which is as old as a Westell 327w.

However, the ActionTec GT784WNV is the best modem of the three, providing a balance of stability and performance. The D-Link, I would probably sell that thing if you end up with one. The firmware is lousy.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would definitely vouch for the Westell as a modem. It's probably going to be the most stable even though it doesn't support the latest and greatest tech. If it's doing you well, keep it. I still use a 10+ year old Westell 6100 here, which is as old as a Westell 327w.

However, the ActionTec GT784WNV is the best modem of the three, providing a balance of stability and performance. The D-Link, I would probably sell that thing if you end up with one. The firmware is lousy.

dfoss1

originally bought the actiontec because it was the same make as my fios router, but the thing would not stop dropping connection.  this went on for a year.  finally bought a used d-link and it's been working great.  very few drops.

0 Likes