Westell Modell 6100 and Zonet ZSR1124WE Router
Milkbonemom

I can't believe all the hassle! Two years ago, my brother-in-law installed the Zonet router to our system. He spent the better part of a day (or more) with tech support and finally got the router and modem to communicate with each other. My husband was concerned about 6 months ago that our wireless system was not secured. Since we didn't have another computer in the house I unplugged the Zonet router and connected the internet directly to the modem.

Now we have a second computer (with a Dlink adapter for wireless connection) so I reconnected the router so he could get the internet. Now mind you I am not very techy but thought, if I just disconnected the router, I'll reconnect it and we'll be in business. WRONG.

I went through the manual for the router and did what it said and got all the right messages and still no internet. So I called tech support last night. They went through all these gyrations for about an hour and a half only to tell me they couldn't help me anymore and that I have to call the manufaturer and get assistance. (We reset the boxes, typed in different IP addresses, etc.) Verizon only supports certain routers and I don't have one that they support.

It was weird that the router and modem could talk and see each other but I still couldn't get onto the internet. My DHCP automatically bridges and that Zonet needs to configure to talk with the modem. When I asked what changed and since I was the only one on this computer and not smart enough to know where to look to change things AS WELL AS change them, what happened to my setting? NOTHING changed except the connection structure which was plugging cables in not changing settings. (Can you tell I'm frustrated with tech support?)

Do I need to change my router? (I did leave a message for tech support at Zonet but doubt I'll hear from them.) Once I get this problem resolved, then I get to talk to Tech Support AGAIN about the slow speeds, how when the phone rings my Network Magic tells me I'm disconnected and then starts again, and also how I keep getting the hissing sound eventhough ALL of our phone have filters and we don't have an alarm system.

I hope someone other than India can help me.

{edited for privacy} 

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 08-24-2009 05:09 PM
0 Likes
Re: Westell Model 6100 and Zonet ZSR1124WE Router
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I believe your problem is that you are MAC address bound because your DSL is DHCP. You can try one of these solutions. You can either unplugged all the equipment over night and plug it back together in the morning which by then the IP lease will expire or clone the MAC address of your computers NIC card into the router. Either way should work.
0 Likes
Milkbonemom
I'll try what you suggest tonight. (Received the message today and need the internet. Smiley Wink)
0 Likes
Milkbonemom

Not the computer geek so I need some clarification:

• MAC address bound ? Not sure what you mean by bound - tied up?
  • clone the MAC address of your computers NIC card into the router. How would I do this?

Thanks for the response. Hope it will work.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
This may help...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online DSL FAQ » 4. Hardware » How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

0 Likes
Milkbonemom
I have printed the FAQ instructions out and will try it. Thanks for the reference doc.
0 Likes