What is the best DSL Wireless/Modem/Router?
DSLMan

What is the best DSL Wireless/Modem/Router?

I am currently using an old Actiontec GT704-WG and sometimes it acts up and some of the firewall settings don’t work right. I am wondering if I should upgrade to something else like the VersaLink 7500, or something else. Or maybe I should try upgrading the firmware in my Actiontec GT704-WG? The firmware is version 3.20.3.3.5.0.9.2.14.

I mostly use wireless, but I have one PC hard wired to the GT704-WG.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Re: What is the best DSL Wireless/Modem/Router?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like what firewall settings do not work right?

For example: You are allowing users from the net to connect a computer behind this router ( typcially called port forwarding )

0 Likes
DSLMan

Back in 2009, I needed to setup a VPN and the only way I could get it to work was to put the firewall in the lowest setting. I tried everything I could think of to get it to work with some security in the medium setting. But no luck. The VPN requirement is gone (and the job). But I don't think the firewall was working correctly.

But now I lose wireless connections and I am only 15 feet away from the Actiontec. My pc switches me over to my neighbors network across the street rather than use my system. I tried different channels and found #1 works the best. But it is very strange.

It also looks like I am on the latest firmware, so I was thinking about replacing the unit.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DSLMan wrote:

But now I lose wireless connections and I am only 15 feet away from the Actiontec. My pc switches me over to my neighbors network across the street rather than use my system. I tried different channels and found #1 works the best. But it is very strange.

I have an idea of how to prevent that.

#1 In the router change the SSID. For example if the SSID is Actiontec, you could change it to Actiontec1

#2 Then on your computer, you configure your computer to connect to that new SSID (what ever you changed it to).

----

Now about the VPN issue...

Since you do not require the VPN anymore then you can not trouble shoot muc, but I can give you a clue to what I think was going on.

If your router and the VPN use the same LAN IP Address Space, then you will not be able to connect to the VPN.

For example the router was 192.168.1x and the VPN Address space was also 192.168.1.x it would fail. So to fix that, you could of changed the LAN IP of the router to other space.

For example if the VPN Address space was 192.168.1.x, then you could of changed the LAN IP of the router to 192.168.2.1 (so now the router uses the 192.168.2.x address space).

^^