Why do some Verizon websites have www22. in the address bar?
NetworkingJoe

When I called and ordered Verizon, I asked and the person said that it should be www.verizon.net. I switched to Verizon from Cablevision and the same weird things happen for some reason. Such as when I am on a Verizon website and am redirected or something to a www22.verizon.com website.

Anyway, the person said that he didn't know what that was about or why that happens, and neither do I. Then when I called Verizon when I was trying to set up the dsl internet, a different guy told me that it is normal and not anything to worry about. But I still think that it is weird.

0 Likes
Re: Why do some Verizon websites have www22. in the address bar?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

A quick Google search reveals that you are not alone in wondering. Several sources suggest it's a load balancing sub domain:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=88777

http://linux.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/linuxadmin-l/what-does-www22-or-www12-mean-in...

http://forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/how-why-use-www22-features-216422.html

It is definitely normal for Verizon sites though (note most of those questions refer to Verizon sites specifically), and nothing to worry about.

NetworkingJoe

So does any of that accomplish anything?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@NetworkingJoe wrote:

So does any of that accomplish anything?

Maybe a Google for "load balancing" will help, in particular the Wikipedia article on the subject.  Good luck.

0 Likes
NetworkingJoe

And there's another weird thing that happens for some reason. A response from "armond" after responding to emails from a seller on Craigslist that is, suppoedly at least, in a town called Almond. Why does that happen for some reason? It is also one of the reasons that I switched to Verizon from Cablevision.

I have to assume that it is done on purpose for some reason, especially when I have other examples of things like that happening. Again, accomplish anything?

0 Likes
Re: ... www22. in the address bar? - What Are They Serving At That Bar?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@NetworkingJoe wrote:

And there's another weird thing that happens for some reason. A response from "armond" after responding to emails from a seller on Craigslist that is, suppoedly at least, in a town called Almond. Why does that happen for some reason? It is also one of the reasons that I switched to Verizon from Cablevision.

I have to assume that it is done on purpose for some reason, especially when I have other examples of things like that happening. Again, accomplish anything?

Yes, that's weird for sure.  However I think it's time for me to bow out of this conversation.  Good luck and I wish you the very best experience with your Verizon services.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@NetworkingJoe wrote:

So you're asking us to explain a coincidence?  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=coincidence

Also, this coincidence that had not happened yet is one of the reasons you switched to Verizon?

I am quite confused. Perhaps you could rephrase the question(s)?

NetworkingJoe

That is only one example of many.

0 Likes
NetworkingJoe

Anyway, so you are telling me that having the "www22.verizon.com" is normal, huh? Because I am still experiencing a lot, if not all, of the same problems and weird stuff that caused me to switch internet service providers. If something is not done about it, then I will just switch to something else {please keep it relevant}.

By "weird stuff", I mean people not responding to my posts that advertise my eBay items(I went through relisting eBay items for over a year), message boards, forums, social networking, weird things with emails, websites, services, etc that I just know are not normal, despite what a person or people pretend for whatever reason.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
www22 is just as effective as having no CNAME at the beginning of a domain name. In other words, if you get to the right place in the grand scheme of things it is not a problem. As some suggested, it could be a load balancing web server setup, it could be eye candy, or it could be to the point of helping a webmaster identify where it was served from in a fast, easy sense. Maybe it is to confuse users, or it is there to help users. Who knows.

The Verizon site has been like that for years. It is not a problem and never will be.