WiFI or internet connection periodically cutting out
bks183
Enthusiast - Level 1

For a few weeks now I have been having issues with my WiFi/Internet cutting out on my electronic devises. I have reset my router multiple times with no change. The WiFi still shows as active on my computer or other electronic devise when this occurs, however all internet activity freezes and the same on other devises that require internet access. When the internet cuts out on my computer, I have to disconnect from the WiFi and the re-connect. Usually this works, but more recently the internet connection does not re-start right away. It randomly starts working again. Usually cuts out for 1-2 minutes when it happens. I have tried running the Verizon test on their website, but the test fails each time.  Everything on the router looks normal even when the connection cuts out. It seems to be getting more frequent. Any ideas what the issue might be? 

Re: WiFI or internet connection periodically cutting out
Mtskulls
Enthusiast - Level 1

same issue for us.  Very frustrating when my wife is trying to work and keeps getting bumped from meeting. our daughter also gets bumped from school functions

What is Verizon doing because this is not a sporadic issue. it seems like its wide spread

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To both of you, please reply with the following info.

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

For example Westell 6100

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

For example Linksys E4200

#3 Even If you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from your modem and you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have any wired connections to your router: Does this happen on wired connections too?

#5 If you are not of DSL, instead on FIOS:

a) Please say so.

b) For the Transceiver Statistics and modem question(s), just say

N/A, ONT

c) While you FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the DSL light flashing when this occurs? What modem and router is in use?

stuckwithverizn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue with my G1100 router.  FIOS Fiber to the ONT and coax to the G1100 modem.  Internet service randomly goes down.  WIFI still connected.  Talked with Verizon and all tests looked good.  they advised me to perform a factory reset.  I did this and the router was fault-free for about 12 hours.  After 12 hours the problem resurfaced.  Once again getting intermittent outages that last for a few minutes.  Still no resolution to the problem and VZ is not much help.

I was ready to buy another router but since I see others are having the problem I will continue to bug VZ about this.

If you are having this problem please state which router you have.

stuckwithverizn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey My brain just exploded.....

Can you boil this down your diagnostic instructions to something a bit more understandable?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BAGMan wrote:

Hey My brain just exploded.....

Can you boil this down your diagnostic instructions to something a bit more understandable?

Since you ORG posted in the DSL area and you do not have DSL:

#1 Your post(s) and my reply to you should and will be moved to the FIOS area.

#2 Ignore step 2 about Transceiver Statistics from ORG thread https://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet/WiFI-or-internet-connection-periodically-cutting-o...

#3 This leaves only trace route inbound to your public IP Address (but not showing the full public IP Address), your router ID (brand and model) and if you have FIOS TV too.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't make FIOS TV more understandable. Other than, how do you get the TV service? Direct TV, Over the Air, ETC...

Public IP Address, router ID (brand and model of the router) and trace route - sure.

#1 The public IP Address is the IP Address that users from the net connect with you if you are forwarding ports. REF = portforward.com -> General Networking -> What is Port Forwarding?

#2 But wait you might say

I am not forwarding any ports.

I am not sure if that is the case or not, but if it is then the public IP Address is the IP Address that users from the net see you connecting from when you connect to their server ( and yes that includes this server at forums.verizon.com ).

IP Addresses(es) are sort of like a phone numbers. And for a phone number, it does not matter how: Copper Land Line, FIOS Land Line, Cell Phone, VOiP and ETC (anything else that I missed if anything).

#3 The router is the device that translates between the public and Local/LAN/Non route-able IP Address.

With in mind IP Address(es) are sort like phone numbers, the router is the PBX translating between public phone number and the internal phone network. Calling out if you want to dial 411, you can't dial 411, you must dial 1 and then 411. Full number would be 1411.

Calling in you will asked for the phone number extension: If not dial 1 for english as need be and then after that, ok which dept?

#4 I do not know how to explain that if IP Address sort of like a phone number, so I have to change the meaning.

IP Addresses if we are dealing routing is more sort of like Snail Mail and this includes packages. That is important that it is snail mail including packages, as the data is sent in packets.

Not to go to technical how the Internet really works, the packets are like trucks on roads that take different paths to get the destination.

Going back to trace route and thinking that IP Addresses is sort like snail mail including packages, and added with roads - trace route finds the fastest possible route.

Which makes sense in the real world too, between any two points there is a fastest possible pathway and as well as alt routes to get to the other point.

#5 While transceiver Statistics do not apply to you, as you reported that you have FIOS. They deal with how strong/weak the signal coming down the wire is.

Alpinist1

I've been having this issue with my FiOS router (G1100). Happens on my Apple and Android devices. Router is connected to the system gateway via cat 6 cable, and my device connections are wireless (the internet dropping happens regardless of location/connection status.)

0 Likes