Will Verizon still provide DSL modems/routers to current customers?
Nells250
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello all

I can't afford Fios, and am afraid to call the help line to request a new DSL modem/router because every time I call for ANY reason, all they do is try to get me to install Fios.

That aside, does anyone know if Verizon will still provide a replacement device if my current one stops working correctly?  Today I noticed it is starting to have an intermittent power issue.  Probably just the power cord attachment, but it is up there in age, so a new one might be better. 

OR, can I buy my own modem that will work with my DSL?  What's the best idea, and will a store-bought modem ever give me more speed?

JD

Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon still provide DSL modems/routers to current customers?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You can buy a Verizon branded DSL modem on Ebay cheap.

0 Likes
Nells250
Enthusiast - Level 3

But do I NEED a Verizon one?  And for what I am paying, seems to me Verizon should provide the router.

One good thing is that the power issue seems to be solved.  Thing is, now it seems the monthly charge for my DSL is the same as FIOS, so I am paying FIOS prices for DSL service.

May have to start looking at Comcast's prices, as there are no other options left...

JD 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You can use another DSL modem you just have to change the VPI to 0 and the VCI to 35. Those are Verizon's settings. The Verizon branded DSL modems are already set that way.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Nells250 wrote:

One good thing is that the power issue seems to be solved.  Thing is, now it seems the monthly charge for my DSL is the same as FIOS, so I am paying FIOS prices for DSL service.

JD 

Sounds like you might have to consider it, then. I'm sure Comcast will have less expensive plans, but please be sure to consider their $10/m modem rental fee (meaning, you'll be buying your own DOCSIS 3.0 modem to avoid this) and any "after the promo" pricing before switching. Alos, check to see if you are in a capping area, as heavy streaming and other normal Internet use might end up costing you extra money just because of how Comcast does business.

Time Warner Cable in my area prices out $50/m 50Mbps/5Mbps service, but most people don't realize that comes with an $8/m modem rental fee, a price hike to $100/m standalone, and usually bi-yearly price increases of $1-2/m. No data caps on Time Warner as of right now. FiOS and DSL so far have more stable, less variable pricing in comparison to the cable company in my area.

0 Likes