Wired Home Network question
pezoids1
I want to set up second computer in another room using the same internet connection.  We currently have DSL & one computer with a single modem.  What do I need to acomplish this?  Do I need a router?  Will Verizon provide one?  Any help will be much appreciated.
0 Likes
Re: Wired Home Network question
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yes, you will need a router. I don't think Verizon would supply you with one. I have a wired home system using a modem and a 4 port router. Linksys is a good reliable brand of router to get. I have had mine now for 6 years with no trouble at all. The people at Linksys will help you get it set up too if you run into problems, they are very helpful. So all you need is your current modem, a router and some ethernet cable. The cable has to be long enough to go from the router by your main computer all the way to where ever your 2nd computer is located.
0 Likes
pezoids1
Thanks. Would the new computer need a modem too?   Is the Routers purpose to organize multiple modems?
0 Likes
norcris
Enthusiast - Level 3
 For a simple set up of 2 pc's you will only need one modem and one router 🙂  With my one modem and one 4 port router I have 2 pc's and a couple gaming systems hooked up to the Internet. It's very easy. You just hook the modem up to your router with an ethernet cable and then you would hook up both of your pc's to the router with ethernet cables.
Message Edited by norcris on 01-24-2009 07:53 PM
FredB
I just installed HSI yesterday.  I got a Westel  Model 7500 modem with my install package. It has wireless router capabilities and I have both my desktop and my wife's laptop working wirelessly with it.  Don't know if you could get an upgrade from Verizon or not.  I believe the cost was $39.  You should also note in this forum that some folks are having problems with 7500s, but so far mine is working fine.
0 Likes