Wired access works - wireless doesn't
DGFebe

I'm in real need of some sound advice - hope someone can help me out!

I've had a solid DSL installation for several years, but earlier today I lost Internet connectivity through my Linksys (54GS) wireless router. After trying to troubleshoot the issue, it turns out that I can get internet connectivity if I use a wired connection directly to the Westell 2100. If I then switch the same cable back from being diretly connected to my laptop to the wireless router - no go.

I've tried a second (Netgear) wireless router and have the identical results. I've tried different cat5 cables from the Westell to the wireless routers.

When I connect (hardwire) my laptop to the Westell I get a solid internet connection, but if I ping the Westell (using 192.162.1.1, which I think is correct?) I get a "Request timed out" message (if I ping a public site, such as Google, I get an uninterrupted round-trip reply)  - similarly, if I try to connect using an IE window I can't reach the modem

If I connect the Netgear wireless router to the Westell and check the router's status, it displays an "Internet Status" of 0.0.0.0 - which is indicative of not being able to obtain an IP address from Verizon. The lack of an IP address is also confirmed by the "Internet Light" showing that an Ethernet cable is connected, but the router has not yet gotten an Internet address.

My config, both hardware and software, has been static for some time - I can't think of anything that has changed that could cause this issue.

I have not yet contacted VZ because I'm certain that they will tell me that the service is being delivered ok (which it is to the modem).

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Dave

0 Likes
Re: Wired access works - wireless doesn't
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

Your description points to the modem cofiguration as the likely problem.  I believe that this modem must be in the BRIDGE mode for the router to properly function.  You said nothing about resetting the modem but I would look to connecting to the modem and check the current setup. 

DGFebe

Thanks for the reply - I think you are exactly right - it looks like my modem was reset, but as I mentioned, I've been unable to access the admin pages. This lead me to replace it with a new ActionTec (GT724) - and finally everything is now back to normal.

One thing that I did learn from all of this that might be of some value to other forum members relates to the expiration of the WAN IP lease. This means that after a modem has been swapped, it is necessary to wait until the WAN IP lease expires before the new unit can access the outside world, even if it has a solid DSL connection. [Is there a way to explicitly force the expiration, versus having to wait for several hours??]

Dave

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DGFebe wrote:

[Is there a way to explicitly force the expiration, versus having to wait for several hours??]

Yes.

#1 In your Linksys go to Setup -> MAC Address Clone.

#2 Click on enable.

#3 Then you must know the MAC Address of the device that you want to spoof/clone.

#4 Enter it, as need be.

#5 Press save changes.

0 Likes
DGFebe

Cool - thanks very much!

0 Likes